Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CM001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1162  
Subject: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/5/2008 2:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I guess with FARO we just have to wait for the execution and the valution to change. In the meantime, is there any other "FARO" that members are looking at?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Olya One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 720 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/7/2008 7:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
There is it's little brother HURC.

Olya

Author: SoMch2Knw Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 721 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/7/2008 9:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
My current Retarded Monkey positions are...

http://stockcharts.com/charts/gallery.html?cfsg
China, above average growth w/nearly a 30% increase already in backlog.
RM-event: individuals involved with getting the company a Nasdaq stock listing.

http://stockcharts.com/charts/gallery.html?FMD
I'm sure you know this story.
RM event: questionable BV and current illiquid Auction Rate securities market.

http://stockcharts.com/charts/gallery.html?CALM
This is my most recent addition, Tiny Gem from way back.
RM event: I haven't figured it out yet. This one is not off much from its 52-week high (given the volatility of small caps), but short interest is trying real hard with nearly 50% of the outstanding shorted. My look at the numbers suggests any decrease in pps is just a better Longterm value given a new dividend policy. I've posted my thoughts on the public MF Cal-Maine Board.

... if Retarded Monkey means buying the earnings potential in the face of perceived problems.

-Tye

Author: TMFPlatoish Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 722 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/8/2008 1:19 AM
Recommendations: 8
Hey CM001,

Here is a freebie. If you want a company that may have the same potential as FARO, I would advise you to look into Stratasys (SSYS). This company has a huge amount of potential, but is not quite yet as much in the mainstream as FARO presently. It is somewhat compatible eventually however.

We used to talk about this company on the Gems FARO board, but so many of those folks are gone that perhaps no one remembers. Get ready, because this will sound way out there. SSYS makes 3-D printers that can create real objects out of drawings and computer models, which of course can be measured every step of the way by Faro arms. They use various composite materials in the "printing" process. All you need is the right materials and SSYS can print layer after layer and make anything you want from whole cloth. They are taking this from just building prototypes to actual manufacturing.

I know this sounds way out there. The advent of new composite materials and more advances in the speed of printing mean that this is a technology that shouldn’t be ignored. Now that I’ve put in my part, what do the rest of you RM’s have to offer?

Regards,
Stan

Author: 3BeeJay3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 723 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/8/2008 10:34 AM
Recommendations: 2
"We used to talk about this company on the Gems FARO board, but so many of those folks are gone that perhaps no one remembers. Get ready, because this will sound way out there. SSYS makes 3-D printers that can create real objects out of drawings and computer models, which of course can be measured every step of the way by Faro arms. They use various composite materials in the "printing" process. All you need is the right materials and SSYS can print layer after layer and make anything you want from whole cloth. They are taking this from just building prototypes to actual manufacturing.

I know this sounds way out there. The advent of new composite materials and more advances in the speed of printing mean that this is a technology that shouldn’t be ignored. Now that I’ve put in my part, what do the rest of you RM’s have to offer?"

Actually, that technology(3D printing) isn't all that new. It was first commercialized in the 90's by a company called Soligen(which may or may not be still in business)using ceramic powder and a resin binder. They developed the technology from someone else that patented the process in the late 80's/early 90's. They used it for rapid prototyping, brought the whole prototyping process and speed to a new level and were making headway with large companies such as Caterpillar, GM(in their NASCAR efforts) and Chrysler(IIRC) etc.
Unfortunately, they never made any money and I'm not sure if they're even still in business.
One of the key things about FARO is that they are making money- very important for any company, espec. a technology company. The key is if they can still continue to grow, make good money, and stay ahead of the changing tech. curve.

BJ

Author: Metal27 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 724 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/8/2008 3:17 PM
Recommendations: 2
is there any other "FARO"

Assuming you mean a similar company, check my previous posts on Faro competitor Hexagon, which is about a triple since I bought it--and pays a dividend. You can buy ADRs, although it is not easy.

See their website at http://www.hexagon.se/en/

Cheers,

Scott

Author: CM001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 725 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/8/2008 11:35 PM
Tye,

CFSG sounds interesting. Took a quick look, decent earnings, margin, cash on balance sheet, buy back, and lastly the 2008 guidance. I see you are active on CFSG board, so I will post my questions and thoughts, if any.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Author: CM001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 726 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/8/2008 11:35 PM
Stan,

I looked at Stratasys and somewhat curious. I will need to spend some more time.

Author: CM001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 727 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/8/2008 11:36 PM
Hello All,

Thanks for all your inputs. Specifically to Stan for the freebie.

Scott,

I was looking for companies that are disliked for some reasons but grow revenue and has a solid growth in front of them, and available at good price.

Author: rjf53 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 728 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/9/2008 2:21 PM
I was looking for companies that are disliked for some reasons but grow revenue and has a solid growth in front of them, and available at good price.

AKAM has continued to click on all cylinders yet doesn't get any respect lately. You can certainly make the case that is still not cheap but given it's history it may be as cheap now on a risk/reward basis as it has ever been in it's history.

B

Author: bkwfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 729 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/9/2008 4:07 PM
Recommendations: 6
I have been lurking on this thread for a few days now, and I just cannot hold myself back any longer. My apologies, fellow Monkeys, for cluttering the thread.

I have TWO candidates for "the next FARO," where I interpret that to mean a company that has sprung from good technology roots to aid a broader manufacturing sector, but with regard to its stock price is not getting its due respect.

My candidate 1 for "the next FARO" is .... FARO!

Yeah, I know. Not very original. So, I will mimic the TMF policy on its subscription services that when something is re-recommended, a "bonus" pick must be provided.

My candidate 2 for "the next FARO" is .... FORM !!

FormFactor (an HG pick, as I suppose everyone who reads general TMF posts knows by now) has been pounded lately because a weak semiconductor market (especially for DRAM and NAND memory) has caused its sales to be somewhat disappointing. But this is a stock that is selling at under $19/share when it has over $11/share in cash and NO DEBT! FormFactor makes advanced probe cards for testing semiconductor chips at various stages of the chip manufacturing process, so the semi fabricators buy their testing cards from FORM. FORM announced yesterday that they are cutting back on their labor force in the next two months, on top of cutbacks announced 2 months ago. Mr. Market interprets that to mean that their business has soured. I interpret it to mean that they are cutting costs while waiting for the semiconductor market to pick up again.

And, of course, I am always right! (Exhibit A: Internet Capital Group, Exhibit B: Selling CAT before it tripled, many more exhibits are available from my DW, who will provide them free of charge and with very little coaxing!)

bkwfool - very long FARO and FORM, so completely biased about both

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 730 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/9/2008 5:04 PM
"..long FARO and FORM"

My top 3:

CEF #1 => 8.1%
FARO #2 => 5.8369%
FORM #3 => 5.8351%

Regards, Ken

Author: CM001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 731 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/9/2008 6:07 PM
CEF was on my watch list for now more than 2 years(?) Somehow I never thought of buying. In any case, you get GOLD and Silver ETF. So I don't see any reason why we have to pay the premium.

I know Stan is a big fan of FORM. But I don't see them in the same mold of FARO, where the growth is sort of linear at least with revenue.

Any company that is cutting employees is not expecting to grow revenues.

Author: RaptorD Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 732 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/10/2008 12:19 AM
Ooh, ooh! Me, teacher! Call on me!

Tunes, baby, gotta have tunes! It isn't the next FARO, it isn't even new. But for those of us who love electronics, music and gadgets (can you be a guy and not love these things?) I think everyone should own a little Dolby (DLB). You can't buy anything that plays tunes without buying Dolby and no matter how bad the economy gets, we kids have to have our tunes. It doesn't hurt that the price is 30% off its high.

Sometimes the best tech is improvements on existing tech.

RMDan, long DLB and that retarded laser thingie

ps: Got gold? Silver? Paladium? Uranium? Oil? Coal? Dolby? FARO?

check. check. check. check. check. check. check. check.

Author: DanPoz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 733 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/10/2008 12:59 AM
How bout IDCC? At some point long after I bought it became a Rule breaker apparently. I have no idea RB stands on it now because I don't subscribe, but it's back in buy territory for me again.

Of course more FARO is the best option.

also love Medco health (MHS) and I am accumulating financials slowly through sharebuilder.

current financial target UMPQ

The "original" RM Dan

Author: WoodvilleDale Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 736 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/19/2008 4:21 PM
I nominate Evergreen Solar, ESLR.
Great technology, some big contracts and a temporary (I hope) dip in share price.

-- Dale in Woodville

Disclosure: I'm a huge stakeholder to the tune of 200 shares.

Author: ChijinKato Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 745 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/23/2008 9:03 PM
Recommendations: 4
Regarding SSYS, it's woth noting that there are a lot of players in this game and a lot of people interested in the possibilities this technology produces (3D scan one object and 3D print it, crude replicator). The result of this is a lot of smart people working on variation including some open source models (http://www.fabathome.org/) which could threaten commercial efforts. Not to say SSYS won't be successful, but i'm not sure how much of a moat they can maintain.

Regards,
Calen
Long FARO and satisfied user of the Laser Scanner LS

Author: LiveFromHopkins Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 746 of 1162
Subject: Re: OT:Is there any other FARO out there? Date: 4/24/2008 6:04 AM
Calen - thanks for this fabulous link to fabathome.org. This sheds a whole new light on the fragility of this nascent industry.

It echoes the early computer days of kits then brand emergence, commoditization and demise of all players save a few like Apple and IBM. Once again it appears that marketing will be king and determine the ultimate survivors. And this is a really tough type of moat to defend when the creativity and imagination of (mobile) executive marketers are essential to success.

I was particularly impressed that embedding electronic circuitry in a fabbed device becomes a practical reality - even down to creating batteries within.

I have yet to visit SSYS and the background provided by fabathome.org is invaluable. Thanks again.

I would be interested in your thoughts on the moat FARO is creating (or not) based on your experience with the Laser Scanner.

Phil

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement