UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (419) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Dialoguebox One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886541  
Subject: OT:My gay son and I thank you Date: 7/26/2006 6:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 238

I have been following the Reproductive Rights thread with great interest and I just want to thank each and every poster who posted so eloquently and articulately in support of gay marriage/adoption rights. My 17 year old son, who would've "preferred" to be heterosexual, but was born homosexual, and who chooses not to deny who and what he really is as a person, also sends you his gratitude.

As long as there are those of you who are willing to stand up and say that it is wrong to discriminate against others because of their sexuality, then there is hope. And then I don't have to be so afraid to send this beautiful, kind, sensitive boy out into a world where people will limit his choices because he does not follow their narrow views of life. And if he's lucky, limiting his choices will be all that they do to him - his body and spirit.

On top of the fact that I am the proud mom of a wonderful gay son, I have also been an elementary teacher to about 350 kids over the years. I can say as a professional that it matters not whether my students' parents were fat, thin, black, white, divorced, Catholic, Muslim, Hispanic, lesbian, biological, adoptive, young, old, poor, or rich. What mattered to my kids was that there was someone in the world who loved them dearly and would be there for them at the end of the day. Kids want love, care, and consistency - and they should get it - from healthy, willing adults who want them for healthy, loving purposes.

As far as all the "statistics" about the dysfunction in the gay community - well, I say that if we allowed gays and lesbians to grow up in something other than fear and secrecy, and we did not marginalize their lives, then maybe they wouldn't take all that pain and anger and turn it in on their own community. If we started making hetero kids feel shame and fear about their sexuality, then we would start seeing even more dysfunction in the hetero community as a whole when they all grew up.

Keep talking everyone. Keep this subject out in the open- because one day I want to dance at my son's marriage to his husband (he says I can wear a tiara), and I want to hold his tiny adopted baby in my arms. Thank you guys.

Here's to a better world,
Vicki in San Diego
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (419) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement