UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: Re: S&P & SMA Date: 5/4/2013 12:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
OTOH, looking at the day to day charts, it seems it would be quite easy to miss the precise sell & buy points and significantly sway the results.
Nope. You don't have to be perfect, you only need to be Good Enough. The overall results are similar whether you do daily, weekly, or monthly. Daily is slightly the best, but has 4 times as many trades as weekly.

There's also the matter of taxes with all that buying and selling.
51 trades (25 round-trips) in 63 years isn't a lot of buying & selling.

Personally, I started moving out of stock funds at a measured pace in 2007. I've evolved my strategy into the following: ...
How does this backtest?

That's the problem, isn't it? You can't backtest this, so all you have is personal anecdotal data over a limited period of time in one phase of the market.

Humans are prone to a whole slew of cognitive biases & fallacies, and overweight narratives over actual data. There's been innumerable blog posts, papers, articles, and books written about these.

The major advantage I see is that I'm buying at lows and selling at highs
The major problem I see with this meta-statement is encapsulated in the concept of "Would you rather be right or rich?"

I wasn't going to toss in any quotes, but what the heck:
"By thinking it’s all about strategy, a trader can get way too involved with each individual trades outcome, whereas in reality the success of the strategy relies on the edge provided over a large number of trades."

Brian Lund, “The goal in trading is to make money, not to be a perfect trader.”

"Looking at portfolios, think deeply about process over outcome. If you do something the right way enough times, you’ll win.—-Dan Loeb"

Demosthenes (384-22 BC): “Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true.” In other words, there’s a powerful tendency to believe that which could make one rich if it were true.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard Feynman

With respect to your remark: I did sell during the recent up swing of the market where I would have been better off holding.
"You can’t judge the correctness of a decision from the outcome. This is a concept that many people find nonsensical. But good decisions fail to work all the time – just as bad ones lead to success – simply because it is impossible to predict which alternate history will materialize."
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement