Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63836  
Subject: Ottawa to rule on foreign takeovers Date: 12/7/2012 11:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is probably one of the most important issues for the Canuck energy patch in many a year? We absolutely need foreign investments however subjecting domestic companies to competition from foreign government controlled companies has issues?

I seem to recall that Alberta went a bit nutty about even the suggestion of our own government getting directly involved, how will they feel about foreign governments?

Thoughts?

Tim

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2012/12/6/Ottawa-ready-to-rule-on-for...

Ottawa ready to rule on foreign takeovers

Shawn McCarthy and Nathan Vanderklippe, The Globe and Mail
9:30 PM, E.T. | December 6, 2012
Energy & Resources

After more than four months of deliberation, Prime Minister Stephen Harper is poised to release decisions on two controversial foreign takeovers in the oil industry that will set the tone for Canada’s relationship with fast-growing Asian economies.

Many investors and political observers expect Mr. Harper’s government to approve the proposed $15.1-billion takeover of Calgary’s Nexen Inc. by Chinese state-owned enterprise CNOOC Ltd., as well as Malaysian-based Petronas’ $6-billion bid for Progress Energy Resources Corp.

At the same time, Ottawa will release new foreign-investment guidelines that will signal to Asian governments and their state-owned enterprises the extent of Canada’s appetite for further takeovers in key sectors.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63106 of 63836
Subject: Re: Ottawa to rule on foreign takeovers Date: 12/7/2012 11:22 AM
Recommendations: 1
.... subjecting domestic companies to competition from foreign government controlled companies has issues....

I think that is a big obsticle to say the least. Very near sighted with poor outcomes as a strong possibility.

IKan

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement