Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BruceBrown Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8981  
Subject: Re: moving to the next level Date: 8/30/2001 1:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
OtterPater wrote:

Just happened in on this board...was looking for a Bruce Brown post so I could email him something, and then thought I would dive in on your post. ....I watched Tiger Woods and Butch Harmon on the Golf Channel last night (I hope this next part doesn't depress you)...and Bruce was talking about the changes that he has implemented in Tiger's swing, and the drills that he made Tiger do to grove it. Bruce said Tiger was the most disciplined and hardest working pro he had ever seen...Bruce asked Tiger how long it took to incorporate one change in his swing...Tiger replied: "One year." Bruce went on to note that often amateurs take one 30 minute lesson and then head out to the golf course and have false expectations of how quickly the lesson will improve their game.

Ha! Of course you meant to type "Butch" in all of the bold examples above. Although I could help Tiger with his singing, after you see me play golf in September here in Vienna you will quickly note why I would have nothing to offer Tiger in his golfing abilities. I do agree with your premise that even small changes take time, dedication and practice - whether one is trying to make it to Carnegie Hall or make the cut at Pebble Beach. I remember my voice teacher telling me back in the 80's to make a change on the way I sang the high notes. He said the investment wouldn't pay off immediately as my voice was not mature enough to hold the position needed. However, I was taught the technique and told to practice it every day for years. Finally, the investment paid off as my voice matured and could 'hold' the position required for singing high notes in opera. That was a big investment that involves a lot of faith, persistence and mentoring. Many of my colleagues in the early days failed to make the investment and went with band-aids or lesser techniques to satisfy their skills at the time. Not good for longevity, but they didn't know or understand that at the time.

I often think of the dedication and practice required that I went through for singing high notes when I practice or make minor changes in the golf swing as I hit buckets and buckets of balls - both the full swing and the short game. It's easy to find a band-aid or quick fix to get through a few rounds before moving on to the next problem because the investment to work on the correct problem solving technique is never an instant, "all things are fixed and now let's go play 18" transition. It requires time, dedication and patience.

Having said that, I would make a couple of observations...from someone who picked back up the game at age 50.....first, the way to break 100 is to spend some time with the short game...60% of your shots are from 100 yards in...chipping/putting/sand shots. The primary difference in your game and one who shots bogey golf is that you aren't efficient enough around the greens.

Amen. I will be playing a round of golf with OtterPater outside of Vienna this September on a beautiful course that is tree lined to the maximum on every hole. It's a course that requires a short game to make up for any errant shots that might catch a branch or a tree during the 18. We'll report on how we do.

BB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement