UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734991  
Subject: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 8:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
An interesting perspective on the modern Islam problem by Thomas Sowell.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20040317.shtml

Those in the Islamic world have for centuries been taught to regard themselves as far superior to the "infidels" of the West, while everything they see with their own eyes now tells them otherwise. Worse yet, what the whole world sees with their own eyes tells them that the Middle East has made few contributions to human advancement in our times.

Later in the article:

What will happen in the meantime? Are millions of proud human beings supposed to quietly accept inferiority for themselves and their children, and perhaps their children's children?

Or are they more likely to listen to demagogues, whether political or religious, who tell them that their lowly place in the world is due to the evils of others -- the West, the Americans, the Jews?

If the peoples of the Islamic world disregarded such demagogues, they would be the exceptions, rather than the rule, among people who lag painfully far behind others. Even in the West, there have been powerful political movements based on the notion that the rich have gotten rich by keeping others poor -- and that things need to be set right "by all means necessary."

decath
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sazani Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158885 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 8:50 AM
Recommendations: 1
I watched how the Jews killed OUR Jesus in Mel Gibson´s "The Passion".

Jews, the chosen race? Or the Devil´s spawn?

I report. You decide.

Author: tutone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158930 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 11:20 AM
Recommendations: 2

I report. You decide.

And all this time I thought the Romans killed Jesus.

If the Jews really killed Jesus then why do Christians worship a cross? Shouldn't they be worshipping a stone? (the jews of the day stoned people to death)

tutone

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158935 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 11:51 AM
I've always enjoyed reading Thomas Sowell. He is a very good writer, and I would recommend any of his books. He's kind of conservative, but can actually write, which is unusual in an economist.

arrete

Author: MunkeeNutz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158946 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 12:18 PM

I report. You decide.

So what? In those days, the penalty for lots of things was death. The Jews considered Jesus a false prophet, a serious violation of Mosaic law. I presume the Romans considered him, at the least, a trouble-making agitator.

Remember, Jesus was crucified along with two petty thieves. Yet, under the mores of that time, Jesus's offense (apostasy) was far worse than petty thievery.

Lots of people were crucified, maimed, stoned, burned, racked, impaled, disemboweled, drawn and quartered, keelhauled, etc., for pretty minor offenses, until relatively recently.

I think it's pretty fanciful to judge the Jews of 2,000 years ago by how we think people should act today, in response to an analagous situation.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158969 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 12:47 PM
Recommendations: 7
An interesting perspective on the modern Islam problem by Thomas Sowell.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20040317.shtml

Or are they more likely to listen to demagogues, whether political or religious, who tell them that their lowly place in the world is due to the evils of others -- the West, the Americans, the Jews?

Sounds like he's talking about Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, too.

--fleg

Author: LEOLOneeds2Bfire Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158989 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 1:35 PM
Recommendations: 7
What decath really meant to say:

Those in Texas have for centuries been taught to regard themselves as far superior to the "infidels" of California, while everything they see with their own eyes now tells them otherwise. Worse yet, what the whole world sees with their own eyes tells them that Texas has made few contributions to human advancement in our times.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Leolo

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158994 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 1:44 PM

Those in Texas have for centuries been taught to regard themselves as far superior to the "infidels" of California, while everything they see with their own eyes now tells them otherwise. Worse yet, what the whole world sees with their own eyes tells them that Texas has made few contributions to human advancement in our times.

Leolo

Uh, Leolo - the guy who wrote the original words works right down the street from you.
http://www-hoover.stanford.edu/bios/sowell.html

arrete

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159005 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 2:10 PM
Recommendations: 2
Leolo tries to change the subject:

Leolo

Hey! I'm trying to get in on the Muslim Bigot wagon. Now your trying to stir up things by bringin in the California (fruits, nuts & flakes) war with the Texans (God fearing capitalists)! <g>

There's only room for one argument on this thread! <g>

decath

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159117 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/24/2004 9:35 PM
Recommendations: 0
Sounds like he's talking about Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, too.

--fleg

As long as he isn't disrespecting my homeboy Reverend Louis Farrakhan. I even just like saying that name. - Art

Author: pedorrero Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159319 of 734991
Subject: Re: OT:Why do they Hate US Date: 3/25/2004 4:49 PM
Recommendations: 0
Somewhat related:

www.dailyreckoning.com, look on left and click on On the ground in Iraq

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement