Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JackLizPearce Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124966  
Subject: OUCH! Taxes on 401K Distribution!! Date: 8/2/2000 10:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Jack( my dear husband) can take his 401K if he terminates his employment with his present employer OR he can leave it in the plan. Jack wants to stop working. His 401K consists of company stock(very big company) and company mutual fund shares. We are looking at the option of cashing in the mutual fund shares AND receiving the company stock, in a lump-sum distribution. The distribution would be approximately $148,000. We would like to take advantage of the NUA concept for the company stock. I tried to calculate the ordinary income taxes on the cost basis of the company stock. We were told it is $42.14 per share by the company rep. If I figured it correctly, the cost basis is about $104,500!! OUCH!! Basically, we want to pay the lowest taxes possible on this distribution. We can just leave it in the plan and make partial distributions, all subject to ordinary income tax rates. We will need these monies to live on until I get Social Security and Jack gets his pension. Ideas, suggestions, please?

Liz Pearce
Homesick Texan Living in SE Florida
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.