Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: monica3674 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5084  
Subject: Our Five Year Plan (Long) Date: 2/5/2006 5:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
When my husband and I were married in July 2000, we had a 5-year plan. I would work for five more years, during that 5th year I would get pregnant, and then I would become a SAHM. Throughout these five years, we would save, save, and save to prepare for me leaving the workforce.

We hit the five year mark this past July. I delivered our DD, Lilly, on August 28th. After taking 12 weeks of FMLA (10 weeks of it paid because I had enough days in my sick bank), I resigned from my teaching position. (I would have taken a leave, just to be on the safe side, but they weren't approving any leaves.)

We're now down to a one-income household. During our five years of marriage so far, we've done a good job of saving.

Our current investments: (approximate amounts)

DH 401k - $120,000
His company matches 60% of the full amount, so we do not want to cut his contribution at all. He contributes the max of $15k.

Ameritrade Taxable - $40,000 (no new contributions)

Vanguard Taxable (VTSMX)- $33,000
I was contributing $400/mo, but moved this down to $100/mo when I stopped being paid.

GM Demand Note Account - $16,000
I know this isn't federally insured, but they're paying 5.75%. DH paycheck gets direct deposited into this account and we write checks for the mortgage and to our checking account for bills.

Individual Roths - $42,000
My money is at Vanguard and Ameritrade. DH's money is at Ameritrade. We plan to continue to max these out each year.

2 529 plans - $16000 (About $8k each)
We plan on having two kids. I opened these accounts in March 2002 and was contributing $100 then $150/mo into each of the accounts. I already transferred one over to my DD. We are still contributing $150/mo to each of these and all of DD's monetary gifts go into hers. This, unfortunately, will be the first place we will cut if we need to.

Coverdell Account at Vanguard- $4000
We funded both 2005 and 2006 for DD. We plan to send both of the kids to Catholic grade and high schools.

We have a 10-year mortgage on our house with about seven years left to pay. We paid $169k and we owe about $78k.

When I was working, I bought five years towards retirement and Michigan takes out a % of teachers paychecks towards their pensions. I plan on working once the kids both get into school full time. I will probably work for 14 more years and retire with 25 years in (including the five I bought.)

Now our dilemma. My DH makes about $65k a year, with $15K taken out for his 401k. We want to continue to fund our Roths, the 529 plans, and the Coverdell. We have saved so well for so long, that it feels like we are just frittering away our money now (just because there's not as much of it.)

I just have to convince myself that we have saved lots of money over the last five years and that now that money will now get a chance to grow. You know that example everyone always mentions, where one person saves $2000 a year for ten years and the other person waits 10 years to start saving? I'm hoping by saving so much before having children, that it won't hurt our FIRE goal too much to have me out of the workforce for awhile.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Monica
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement