Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: putnid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19142  
Subject: Re: Best Free Boards? Date: 11/18/2012 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Our histories are remarkably similar, bob. In college, I was 6'5" weighing 170 lbs. Now, I'm 6'4" weighing 220 lbs. Yeppers, aging has its effects. I walked away from the corporate grind at age 50. I was a physical wreck. I became a gym rat and took up marathoning. After five years, I had grown far leaner and waaaay healthier. I had trained so much I eventually became a fitness instructor and taught spinning classes. Like you, I ran until I learned I had no cartilage left in my knees. That discovery put me in a tailspin. Running had become a way of life and, in a sense, losing that equated to a loss of identity. It also turned my muscles to mush and the weight came piling back on. It took me a coupla years before I began morphing into a cyclist. I had bicycled a lot during my college years, but gave it up when I moved into the city and took to running instead. This is now my 4th year as a cyclist. I've logged 2,200 miles this season, riding along rural roads. At my age, it's taken me a while to develop decent skills. This year marked an interesting turning point. I visited a friend in Toronto and spent a weekend cycling throughout the city. It was a bit of a freakout for me, given that I had heretofore limited myself to country roads. I had such a gas, though, that I added a weekly jaunt along Chicago's crowded Lakefront Trail (a 36-mile round-tripper) to my cycling regime. At long last, I had made a full transition from runner to cyclist.

I envy your diverse cycling experiences. Next on my agenda: joining a cycling club to learn about pace lines and drafting (indulging in group rides), and then embarking on cycling tours both in the US and in Europe. I'm hooked.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement