No. of Recommendations: 0
Over 20 yrs of Quicken and I've had it. Well maybe, almost. But I am older now and life is shorter

I can relate! Past the wealth accumulation phase, almost - took a long time to mentally adjust. Financial affairs in order and most investments on autopilot as wife has no interest in this realm.

My perspective on Quicken FWIW...
Starting with Q95 and first transaction was opening Checking account on 12/23/1997. Over the years the number a accounts grew to 77 of which 25 are active. These include every transaction for every credit card, checking and savings account and various other account types.

I played the download game for awhile and then discovered life was too short and I wanted my own control. Decided to use Quicken as a record tracking tool and enter all transactions manually and I can be anal on details ;-) Quicken Premier 2011 is the latest version and the QDATA file is 26,337,280 bytes.

Quicken budgeting left something to be desired and I wanted it simple. Now export Net Worth and Scheduled Transaction data to an Excel spreadsheet and do my own reports.

Downloading investment price data ballooned the size of the Q file and was a waste of time. I can get all the info and reports I needed from the Fidelity Investment website and my independent financial advisor who partners with Fidelity. There is one record for each investment account and the value is updated each month in the Portfolio view.

For taxes, the Tax Schedule report provides all the information, except investments, needed to enter into the tax software package of choice, usually TaxACT. Investment data, like income data, comes in the form of 1099s. Tax software can usually import data from most major brokers.

Things are getting simpler and easier to do these days with the internet and smartphones. The wife and I go shopping and out to dinner, come home with a few receipts, call up the credit card app and view the charges and balances. Same with the bank and Fidelity app. Wouldn't need Quicken if I wasn't anal on details and double checking transactions.

George
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement