UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Thoth2001 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76392  
Subject: over-contributed to Roth for 2000 -- what to do? Date: 9/7/2000 1:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Foolish me. :-)

In April 2000 I contributed to my Roth IRA. One chunk
of $2000 for 1999, and one chunk of $2000 for 2000.

However, I may end up with more than $95k income, ie.
in the range where Roth contributions phase out.

What should I do?

PS: Besides the Roth IRA I do have a Rollover IRA.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24656 of 76392
Subject: Re: over-contributed to Roth for 2000 -- what to Date: 9/7/2000 4:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Thoth2001, and welcome. You wrote:

<<In April 2000 I contributed to my Roth IRA. One chunk
of $2000 for 1999, and one chunk of $2000 for 2000.

However, I may end up with more than $95k income, ie.
in the range where Roth contributions phase out.

What should I do?

PS: Besides the Roth IRA I do have a Rollover IRA. >>

Your excess contribution will be for year 2000 only, so that's the only one you really have to worry about. You may take action to recharacterize that contribution as one made to a nondeductible traditional IRA instead of a Roth or you may withdraw the contribution plus any earnings thereon by April 16, 2001. For details on withdrawal and/or recharacterization, see IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/pubs.html.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement