UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Carpian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74344  
Subject: Re: What were blacks thinking? Date: 11/24/2012 4:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Over forty years of observing mankind and reading relevant history shows me that while in many places the races have learned to live together in the USA the tension remains palpable and the blacks themselves contribute to it, specially by the urging of the Democrat party. Anti-discrimination became a system of quotas, of reverse discrimination which is no better than the social illness it tries to cure.

I think there are a lot of different perceptions of the state of racial harmony in the US. I have seen allegations of persecution that I felt were overblown or outright falsehoods, and certainly if one is inclined to want to blame someone else for one's own dissatisfaction with their life, and one is a member of a minority, that is an avenue that is readily available. On the other hand, I don't doubt there are many legitimate instances of discrimination and racial profiling as well.

I live in southern California, where there is a lot of diversity and in the circles I run in, I feel things are pretty good for the most part and getting better. But I recently spent a few days in St. Louis, where my observation of the limited segment of the culture that I saw was an overwhelming system of blacks serving whites. The bus drivers, hotel staff, food staff, airport porters, etc. were virtually all blacks and serving a white clientele. In that situation, and given the overall history of treatment of blacks in the US, I don't begrudge any black person for wanting to see another black person in power, to give them some symbol of hope for change.

The overriding issue facing the US these days seems to be how to get the political parties to work together to some reasonable extent, or at least to be civil to each other--although I know you've said you like political gridlock, Denny. :-) But as long as the conservatives hold on to the view that people mainly supported Obama for inane reasons like his race or that they are lazy, stupid, good-for-nothings (that's my paraphrase again of the view that even Romney expressed in his infamous "47%" remark), what possibility exists of any kind of working together? How do we get from there to where we need to go? It would be great if discussions, editorials, etc. going forward on the national stage could focus on how to best solve the many problems we face, rather than focusing on what idiots Obama's supporters are.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement