UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 343  
Subject: Overnight in Portland suggestions needed Date: 9/3/2006 1:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm planning on doing a solo overnighter in Portland in a couple of weeks. I'm planning to catch the Downeaster in Boston fairly early in the day, spending the night and coming home the next afternoon or evening. Could anyone suggest a moderately priced hotel/B&B within walking distance or short taxi ride of the train, and also if there is anything planned for the weekend of September 15?

TIA
Uhura
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MainelyFoolish Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 331 of 343
Subject: Re: Overnight in Portland suggestions needed Date: 9/5/2006 8:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
The train station isn't really within walking distance of anything, but Portland is a pretty small city, so nothing is too far of a cab ride away.

I've never stayed there, but fairly nearby the train station is the Inn at St. John, which looks nice. (www.innatstjohn.com) It's not within walking distance of the Old Port, but it is within walking distance of the hospital (Maine Med), the Sea Dogs stadium, and Dunkin Donuts. The restaurant next door, the Dogfish Cafe, is good, too.

Sorry I'm not more help -- I'm not a native Mainer, but this board is pretty quiet, so this may be the best you're going to get! :)

Author: JHutch00 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 332 of 343
Subject: Re: Overnight in Portland suggestions needed Date: 9/5/2006 9:26 AM
I'm not up to date on what hotels are in Portland, and what their rates are, but summer is over and foliage season hasn't started.

Everything in Portland is a short taxi ride from the train station. I think it's only 2 miles from downtown. There is also the bus (www.gpmetrobus.com) and the shuttle (www.transportme.com). If you can find a hotel in downtown everything is walkable from there.

Author: mainelegal Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 334 of 343
Subject: Re: Overnight in Portland suggestions needed Date: 9/7/2006 10:51 AM
The Inn at St. John is close enough to walk in a few minutes. The METRO bus system goes past the train station frequently (every 20-30 minutes I think) and goes downtown.

Have fun.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement