UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ldm67 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: overseas retirement preparation Date: 1/25/2000 7:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We are in our fifties and have been living overseas for the last 10 years. We are planning to return permanantly to the states in a couple of years. We have done well in stocks and are wondering about the capital gains taxes. Living overseas we get a $70,000 tax exempt status on yearly income and we wondered if there would be an advantage to selling stocks while we are overseas and then reinvesting again so the capital gains tax is dealt with while we are overseas instead of in the states. We would need several years to plan ahead for this if there is an advantage. Thanks for any help.

ldm
Print the post Back To Top
Author: gtstarling Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18229 of 75383
Subject: Re: overseas retirement preparation Date: 1/25/2000 10:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hello Idm67:
You wrote,
We are in our fifties and have been living overseas for the last 10 years. We are planning to return permanantly to the states in a couple of years. We have done well in stocks and are wondering about the capital gains taxes. Living overseas we get a $70,000 tax exempt status on yearly income and we wondered if there would be an advantage to selling stocks while we are overseas and then reinvesting again so the capital gains tax is dealt with while we are overseas instead of in the states. We would need several years to plan ahead for this if there is an advantage. Thanks for any help.

I believe your exemption is for earned income. Check the information with your latest tax return info to see if unearned income, such as capital gains taxes, will qualify.

For your sake, I hope it will - but I'm afraid that it won't.

Good luck!

Gemstarman

Author: NewHouse One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18263 of 75383
Subject: Re: overseas retirement preparation Date: 1/26/2000 1:55 PM
Hi.

You may also what to check this out on the Tax Strategy board here at the MF. The experts there may help you more.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement