Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CVSUSN Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 52510  
Subject: Ozzie vs LaRussa??? Date: 5/24/2006 5:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What's this???? Ten years later and Ozzie still holds a grudge???? Geez! Get over it, Ozzie!

LaRussa said nice things about Ozzie. Admits they weren't friends, but it was obvious he'd gotten over it.

The article that started it all.
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/9694831BB7739860862571750009402F?OpenDocument

The second article. LaRussa takes back what he previously said about Ozzie being welcome at Spring Training as an instructor.
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/EB238DB17CC0A0F186257176001A4DE7?OpenDocument

Ozzie, you screwed the pooch, buddy. I remember your exploits well and warmly. Your presence will be missed around the stadium and Spring Training, but I'm siding with LaRussa. Your comments are absurd. It didn't have to be this way. Your bust.

Pride my ass. Sheer stupidity.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25082 of 52510
Subject: Re: Ozzie vs LaRussa??? Date: 5/24/2006 6:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Yeah, this is just an incredibly unfortunate deal.

I mostly side with LaRussa, too - though I did think that his response was a bit of an over-reaction.

I think Ozzie's perspective is symptomatic of the larger question of Hall-of-Fame-caliber players who are way past their prime and are unwilling to admit that fact and move on. It is painful for them to work through it, and it is painful for us fans to have to watch it. Too often it ends with hard feelings.

Ozzie was arguably the greatest defensive shortstop to ever play the game. LaRussa has got to be on a top five list of all-time great managers. Everybody was doing their jobs, and it just sucks that it has to continue like this.

Here's hoping cooler heads prevail.

Matthew

Author: micmaz99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25094 of 52510
Subject: Re: Ozzie vs LaRussa??? Date: 5/24/2006 10:28 PM
Recommendations: 0
So why was Clayton traded after 2 1/2 years?

Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25095 of 52510
Subject: Re: Ozzie vs LaRussa??? Date: 5/24/2006 10:45 PM
Recommendations: 1
Honestly, I don't remember. Taking a look at the stats - he did not play well in 1997 and 1998 - he was batting .234 when they traded him in 07/98.

It turned out OK, though - six months after they traded Clayton was when they traded for Edgar Renteria in part of the extended Marlins post-World Series fire sale.

That is part of what is so absurd about the whole thing - if we had been talking about a young Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, or Miguel Tejada replacing Ozzie, that would be one thing. But Royce Clayton?

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25120 of 52510
Subject: Re: Ozzie vs LaRussa??? Date: 5/25/2006 10:38 AM
Recommendations: 0
That is part of what is so absurd about the whole thing - if we had been talking about a young Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, or Miguel Tejada replacing Ozzie, that would be one thing. But Royce Clayton?

At the time, he was considered to be a rising star. I think being stuck in the middle affected him.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement