UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740201  
Subject: Re: Health Care Crisis: Open to Suggestions Date: 5/2/2001 11:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Pablum:
What will rescue the health care / insurance industry is capitalism; market-based reforms that will remove many of the regulations that straight-jacket doctors, insurance companies and hospitals. The aim should be to allow each one of us to shop for health insurance and health care the way we shop for shoes or a VCR. Insurance needs to return to the more traditional (now outmoded) concept of protecting us from catastrophy, not paying for every routine exam, procedure or item. We should also be allowed to purchase the type and extent of insurance we want---if I don't want mental health benefits or drug abuse coverage, I shouldn't have to get it. I don't have that choice. Right now, I get insurance I don't want and don't need.

You've said a much needed mouthful here. IMHO, the corruption of the health insurance industry occured when businesses began to provide health insurance as an employee benefit. This may initially have helped businesses by encouraging people to seek care when they needed (thus minimizing absenteeism). Unfortunately, any benefit soon disappeared due to the introduction of three major corrupting influences. Insurance companies marketed their products to the purchasers (employers) instead of the consumers (employees). Consumers (employees) treated healthcare services as an entitlement. The government stepped in through the door opened by the disconnect between the taxpayers (employees) and the purchasers (employers). This changed the dynamics from providers-insurers-insured to labor vs. "those evil capitalists".

It's unlikely that it will ever happen, but getting employers and Uncle Sam out of the loop would do more for fixing this mess than any national healthcare plan could ever accomplish.

1HappyFool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement