UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4657  
Subject: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/7/2004 10:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi everyone,

Well now that I have new windows, I was thinking about getting the inside of my house painted....it hasn't been done since the 80's. I have a 50's house, 3 br's, 2 baths, a great room with fantastic new casement windows and a galley kitchen that currently is that (shudder)awful Avocado green and Harvest gold.

Extra details, currently there is a light blue wall to wall carpet in great room and hallways and Master bedroom. Upstairs bathroom has burgundy and white tiles and downstairs bathroom has pink, yes pink and white tiles.

My first thought was to paint everything white/off white and keep it simple but thought I'd ask for ideas. I did get color charts from Valspar and Benjamin Moore paints and I am overwhelmed with the choices.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The galley kitchen needs help bad.....the wall cabinets are that green color and the below counter cabinets are the gold......I want to make the kitchen look bigger in some way and brighten it up.

Also for the bedroom, I'm looking for a soothing,relaxing color.

Color me lost. :)

LuckyDog
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mukluk Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3061 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/8/2004 6:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
How about cream for the kitchen, maybe with some antiquing or distressing to bring out the details. For the rest, its a bit difficult to judge without knowing you and seeing your house. What colors do you like? What colors make you feel happy? Do you have piece of furniture, draperies, a picture in your house that you love? Maybe you could pick your color scheme from that. Your light blue carpet suggests to me a color scheme that is in one of my sheet sets -- its a light blue/warm yellow pattern with accents of leaf green and coral/warm pink. Might work with your carpet/tiles if you like those colors.

Suggestion: Any big book store will have, in the Interior Decorating section, books on color theory and color schemes which suggest 20 or so color combinations with pictures of completed rooms. You might find that some time spent browsing will give you some ideas.

Hope that helps,
Mo.

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3062 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/8/2004 6:58 AM
Recommendations: 0
I really like taupe walls

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3063 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/8/2004 7:23 AM
Thanks Mo. I do like the color combinations you mentioned, sounds real pretty.

I'll check out the bookstore for those types of books you mentioned.

LuckyDog

Author: carnescarnes Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3064 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/8/2004 11:16 AM
Picking up some home decorating mags for ideas can be helpful. Also, personally, I find that the colors I like in clothing often ends up on my walls and furniture... so maybe that's a place to start.

carnescarnes

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3065 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/8/2004 11:19 AM
Recommendations: 2
Also, personally, I find that the colors I like in clothing often ends up on my walls and furniture...

You should try putting them on hangers instead of on the furniture.

;)

RJ

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3066 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/8/2004 11:21 AM
Purchase quart cans of the colors you are considering and try some test spots. It is so hard to pick paint from small chips. Get semi-gloss for the kitchen and baths and flat in the bedrooms. I like Behr (I think that's how it's spelled) paint at Home Depot.

Author: bosslady52 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3067 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/8/2004 11:46 AM
Paint the cabinets a much lighter color; we did that and it made a huge difference!

Author: gogreengo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3068 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/8/2004 12:39 PM
Purchase quart cans of the colors you are considering and try some test spots.

I think you can get little test packets of paing for free (or very cheap) at some home stores.

We like to tour homes in Parade of Homes to get paint color, flooring, and decorating ideas. If there's an event like that going on in your area, check it out.

Looking through magazines and books is also a great idea. I would vote for lighter colors in the kitchen to brighten things up. And even though it's kinda boring, you can't go wrong with white.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3080 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/11/2004 6:34 AM
awful Avocado green and Harvest gold.

Cuel!

I love the "horrible" harvest gold. That's what color my grandma's old fridge was.

I would love to have appliances that have that "worn" look in the center of the front panels in harvest gold.

Before you go thinking I'm nuts--HG goes really well with my roosters.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3102 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/13/2004 9:41 AM
Ok...well you want to make a bid on them llama? :)

Are those roosters alive?

LuckyDog

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3113 of 4657
Subject: Re: paint color suggestions wanted Date: 1/15/2004 9:00 AM
Are those roosters alive?

Uh....in my imagination, I guess.

frissy
doesn't like to be crowed at...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement