UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4657  
Subject: Painting Cupboards Date: 5/31/2010 10:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We just bought a house that has some pretty crappy cupboards. I don't want to spend a fortune on them because we eventually want to completely remodel the kitchen.

The style isn't *that* bad, but they are painted this crappy white and the style does not call for that. (I believe they used to be a nice wood grain because there are some at the back of the house which are beautiful.) The place was a foreclosure and I think the trust company that we bought it from just had someone come in and slap a bunch of paint around.

I'm not sure if I should try to faux finish them, or just stick on some handles to try to dress them up or what. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I'll take some pics and try to upload them after we go over there today.

Also, there is paint all over the frames of the windows. They are a nice brown aluminum but there's white paint spattered all over them. Any suggestions on how to remove?

Thanks,
Caat
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4610 of 4657
Subject: Re: Painting Cupboards Date: 5/31/2010 12:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Caat, as to how to do your remodelling, I think you might get some good suggestions over on the Building and Maintaining a Home board--

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=28545190

On your cabinets, how old is the house? How old are the cabinets? Are they solid wood? Veneer over particle board? Formica? Plastic? Metal? Etc. All this matters.

You might look at what it takes to remove the old paint. Perhaps try an inconspicuous spot like the bottom side of a cabinet or shelf.

One of two ways will usually work. Paint stripper. Or heat the paint with a blow torch or better an electric heating gun until it softens, and lift it off with a paint scraper. (The heat method works best on solid wood, but may be OK on some of the others if you are careful.)

By trying a spot, you will be able to see what you have underneath, if it is salvagable, and how much damage you do trying to get to it. Under favorable circumstances the paint might come off easily. But it depends.

And do heed the warnings. The heat gun method can cause fires. So be careful and try for adequate ventillation to avoid breathing any more fumes than necessary. Chemical paint strippers are effective, but the fumes can be noxious. So good ventillation is a good idea. If this proves to be the way, removing the cabinets to a well ventilated space might be best if its practical.

On your aluminum windows, is the brown painted on or is it annodized? It should be on much better than the paint applied at room temperature. Scraping the white paint off with a razor blade can work, or a good strong paint thinner should work. Not minerals spirits or turpentine, but I would look for toluene, MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), ethyl acetate, acetone or methylene chloride on the label. I just found a solvent like this at Walmart. (Fingernail polish remover might work, but that may be costly.) Test a small spot to be sure the brown is not attacked.

Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4611 of 4657
Subject: Re: Painting Cupboards Date: 6/2/2010 9:25 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hi Paul.

Cabinets are wood. I don't think I would go to the trouble of stripping them because we want to remodel soon. I don't want to put too much time and effort into it, I just want them to look a little better in the interim.

Don't know about the aluminum, but I will try paint thinner on an inconspicuous place.

Thanks. :D
Caat

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement