UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: v10mark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 373  
Subject: Palm Pilot experiences Date: 11/17/2000 7:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi folks,

Great idea for a discussion board. Let me indicate first where you can find some fine posts already out there on the subject of Palm Pilots:

Search the Living Below Your Means (LBYM) message board here at the fool. Search for "Palm" or "Palm Pilot" and you'll generate some great posts. LQueiros, one of the most intelligent posters who always has informative posts, put up a number of links for the Palm.

My own experiences with the Palm V I bought in August of 99 are very good. First, the size of it is just fantastic. It easily fits in my pocket, as it is only the width of a checkbook but only about 2/3 as long as one, and is barely thicker than a checkbook with it's hard aluminum protective case. I've had it riding in my pocket in that case for over a year now with no damage. That says a lot considering I'm an Army Officer-our lifestyle is rough on equipment!

I originally purchased the Palm primarily as a tool to immediately track all my expenses to get a real grip on my finances and see where all my money was going. Once I was able to identify and eliminate the silly, frivolous buys, I essentially "paid for" the Palm V. Subsequently, I primarily use it for a detailed address/phone/email book. Its search feature is so fast and so easy that you simply tap the 'search' icon, type in as little of a character string, email, phone number, etc as you want and it will return all matches. Very, very high in utility for this alone!

Another item I really like about the Palm V is the rechargeable batteries. It works for weeks on typical use between charges. Even a heavy user could easily go all day w/ the Palm V and just put it on the cradle at night, ready in the morning again.

The Palm is highly intuitive, very sensible, and more functional than any PC-sorry Microsoft! My Palm has crashed zero times. Zero. I have to reboot my PC every day just to wipe memory addresses that won't clear. You can work on an entry of any sort in the Palm, turn it off, and it doesn't even lose a thing. Turn it back on and you're right where you left off, much like opening and closing a book at a bookmark. The "save" command is obsolete.

If you're ambiguous about what kind of PDA you want, or don't know if a Palm is right for you, take a trip to your Office Max or local equivalent where they assuredly have one on display. Pick it up and try out the Graffiti shorthand and see just how easy the Palm is to use. When I compared them side by side with the HP Jornadas, Casios, and Phillips Vaios of the day, there was no question that the Palm was where it's at!

When pricing them, use an internet price comparison engine. I got mine at the time from buy.com for $100 less than the Office Max where I field tested the Palm V. If you're of a mind to buy a used Palm, LQueiros posted some great sources for these.

Fool on,

Mark
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Wireless Buyer's Guide Page
Shopping, or just curious? Everything you need to know about wireless and mobile communication is here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement