UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75776  
Subject: Re: Poll: Index investing is... Date: 11/25/2005 8:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Par is an excellent score in golf. A golfer who consistently scored an even par for an 18 hole round would be well within the Top 1% of all golfers.

When I started out investing, I decided quickly that I wouldn't hit for the fences (another sport's analogy). I wanted to do what I could to insure that I consistently hit the top 25%, better yet the top 15%. I also wanted to avoid ever having a year where I was measurably below the average of the top 20%. I doubt few market timers and pump and dumpers can match this type of consistent performance over a period of many years. By using Vanguard funds, I think I've surpassed my intial goals, without losing sleep or having to spend time worrying about whether I made the right choices along the way. Bottom line, I met my overall goal of solid financial security by my late 40s. I probably could have left the rat race sooner, but being the conservative type, I stuck around for a few more years to sock away some more money. I've even continued to do a small amount of part-time consulting in order to insure a six-figure annual cash flow, which has allowed my portfolio to continue to grow.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement