UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58794  
Subject: Re: As heard and seen in weather news Date: 5/3/2013 7:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
Paranoia runs deep with the wingnuts. They fear science they don't want to believe in. They imagine some sort of global conspiracy. Tens of thousands of people spent many years of their lives studying global environment in schools, performing research and earning advanced degrees. These scientists come from hundreds of universities in dozens of different countries but have managed somehow to work in concert to produce a great hoax about global warming. Their motivation for making up this grand story . . . to obtain research grants.

IMO, one of the greatest movies of all time was Planet of Apes. The movie of course just using apes a literary device to comment on the human condition.

Dr. Zaius is a perfect analog of the modern Republican party. He is both the Minister of Science and Defender of the Faith and sees no contradiction in those two roles, claiming that science and faith are the same thing. At separate times, Dr. Zaius tries to cover up evidence that Taylor (the astronaut) can speak, and warns both Cornelius (archaeologist) and Dr. Zira (animal psychologist) about pursuing their work.

Ultimately, Taylor, Cornelius, and Zira (the latter fleeing charges of heresy) escape to the a cave in the Forbidden Zone where Cornelius has uncovered some archeological artifacts indicating humans may have once had a civilization. Dr. Zaius at first appears unconvinced, but later admits he's known all along that humans had a prior civilization, but states he's been suppressing the truth for fear engendering sympathies towards humans. As Taylor rides off, Dr. Zaius orders the cave blown up to destroy the evidence.

Compare Dr. Zaius, Minister of Science, to Dr. Paul Broun, House Science, Space and Technology Committee.

All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. It’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior. There’s a lot of scientific data that I found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I believe that the Earth is about 9,000 years old. I believe that it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/07/nation/la-na-nn-paul...

There is no difference.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement