UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zay34kc3 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740167  
Subject: Re: OT: On Pacifism & History Date: 9/18/2001 11:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 27
Pardon the long, wondering post. It's been brewing (no pun intended) awhile. Not all points were made in your original post, so I'm not assuming anything about your positions.

While I support actions against those who attacked the US (mainly through covert operations in which terrorists wake up with their throats cut), I'll stand up for brewer12345 and say that I think pacifists play an important role in our society.

They act as the counter-balance to the hawks. If, in cases as you've pointed out, we can justify our actions, then force is warranted. If, however, pacifists can raise important issues to which we cannot provide clearcut answers, they have done their part to temper our anger or at least make us pause. Think of the very men who developed the atomic bomb but has serious reservations about using it.

On a side note, please note that I draw a distinct difference between pacifists and "anti-Americans". Pacifist activities unfortunately provide a legitimate venue for anti-American thought just as the current anger we feel is, unfortunately, providing a venue for anti-Arab/Muslim thought in America.

Along those lines, I don't consider the threat of rejecting one's citizenship to be an anti-American thought. If one truly believes the US to be wrong and rejects his/her citizenship, he/she is merely acting on the priniciples contained in the Declaration of Independence: namely, to start over when the government doesn't represent his/her interests as a citizen.

I may not agree with people such as brewer12345, but in a democracy, they play an important, critical role. As a nation we can sleep better at night knowing that we have listened to their objections and either dismissed them with rational thought or let them modify our behavior so we don't do something we'll later bemoan with comments of "why didn't we think about the consequences?"

zay34kc3
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement