UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineerFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308690  
Subject: Parental Responsibility Date: 5/15/1998 5:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sorry for the long post but I am going to deliver a sermon.

Yes, as others have suggested, a course in high school on personal finances and credit card use would be nice and should be mandatory. But the real responsibility of teaching your kids the responsible way to use credit cards when they go to college lies with the parents.

The best way to teach them is to live by example. Kids normally do what you do and not what you say. They watch you use it to buy gas and groceries and every other household item. But they don't see you struggling to make each months payment. Maybe it is time to put the cards away. I am guilty myself. My daughter always asks 'Why don't you put it on your card?' She is only 4 years old. I see what I am doing and am determined to change.

My life story (how I was always responsible)

I have only paid finance charges once in my life over a 3 month period during college for a computer. I needed to spread the payments out a little. If I didn't have the money, I didn't buy it. I am 34 years old. How did I do this?

I was taught at a young age to work for money I wanted to use on unnecessary purchases. I had a paper route and cut lawns. I had to save my money if I wanted a bike. I was taught to be self-sufficient by watching and helping my parents. If the outside of the house needed painted or the brakes on the car needed replaced, I helped my father do it ourselves. I rarely ever saw my parents use a credit card, mostly on vacation.

My parents never once sat me down and taught how to use credit cards. They never explained the impact of interest from credit card use (I learned that in math class). We learned by example, by watching.

I guess me and my 2 brothers and 2 sisters were lucky. Not one has ever had credit card problems. My mother and father were able to teach life lessons without having to sit you down and lecture. I am off to a bad start with my own 2 daughters. This board has made me realize that responsibility starts at home and I need to get started.

Thats the end of my sermon. I need to go call my mother and get some advice on how she did it. Too bad Mother's Day is over. Saying thank you would have been the best present she could have received.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement