Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: beb252 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Parents house Date: 6/15/2001 12:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I apologize if this is a common question. I did a serach and came up empty.

I don't know if I've been handed a problem or not...

Last year, on the advice of someone (attorney, estate planner, whatever), my parents decided to sell me their house for $1 and include the provision in their deed that they can continue to live there for the rest of their lives. I believe this was an attempt to avoid losing the home from their estate if they need to go into a nursing home. (My Dad often gets on a rant about how people who rent lose nothing, but people who own a home lose it to the state.)

I have no idea if this was a good thing for them to do, but I wasn't consulted. The first I heard of it was when they handed me a copy of the deed. I don't remember signing anything last year, and if I did I didn't know or realize that this was what it was about.

Anyway, I see two things that I want to ask right off. Maybe there are a couple of hundred more I should be asking (and please tell me if that's so) but these occur to me now.

1) What happens when they eventually die. I have no plans to live in the house. I assume my cost basis for the house is $1, and if I sold it for, say, $150,000, that my profit would be $149,999. Do I pay taxes on that, and if so at what rate?

2) Since I supposedly own the house now, can I deduct the property taxes on my income tax? They don't itemize, and a retired CPA who's a neighbor says I can do so as long as I pay the taxes. Is he right?

Thanks for this and any other help you can give.

Bruce
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement