UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mcbdds Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757408  
Subject: Paris 2 Date: 10/14/2012 12:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Walked through a cold driving rain this morning to messe gregorienne at Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Paris.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_de_Paris

High mass, incense, procession, candles, the whole 9 yards. The childish voices of the chorale were heaven sent. Their clear notes rose up 226 feet to the ancient gothic arches and rained down and surrounded us in pure warmth. The organ has 7,800 pipes, 111 stops, five 56-key manuals and a 32-key pedalboard seemed to vibrate from inside your chest. Usually the light from outside illuminates the enormous stained glass windows, but the dark clouds and the heavy rain allowed the candles to refract light back downward in a way I've never seen before. I have been to mass several times but this was special today.

Yesterday We went to mass at Mont St. Michel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

Walked up 444 steps to the chapel ( this apparently ensures entry into heaven ) for the fourth time in my life. The administration is firmly in the hands of the Benedictines, and the Sisters of Jerusalem. During mass the sisters sang Gregorian chants that I never heard before, different in tone and maturity from the children in Notre Dame. Really quite beautiful.

My DIL had genealogy connections to a town near Mt. St. Michel called Ducey, and our driver took time to visit. Went into the church, in the center of town, found some great uncles listed on the WW1 memorial killed in the trenches in 1917. DIL cried, DS cried, DW cried. Took Christmas card pictures by the local Moulin flour mill where her Grandfather worked.

It is a long way to Normandy, and we were quite exhausted by the time we returned. Stumbled into a bistro in the 8 eme. run by Christian Constant and spent hours eating, drinking and making new friends.

http://www.maisonconstant.com/fr_cafe.htm

It was serendipitous and heart warming, hugs, promises of future dinners, walked us back to the 7 eme to insure our safe return to our hotel.

I'm not an overly spiritual person. Have been following the abortion chit chat on the board over the last couple of days. It's the usual back and forth, but has weighed heavy on me for some reason.
I don't usually pray for things but asked God to grant forgiveness to our culture for the holocaust inflicted on the unborn children of our country. I asked for enlightenment to the savages that inflict the political power that allows so much death. I asked for the grace to help those desperate enough to consider the option of terminating the life of their own unborn child. I also asked for healing to those mothers that have no other option.

I also asked that the Broncos defeat the Chargers tomorrow.

mcb
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement