UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: soui Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20990  
Subject: Paris and environs Date: 8/2/2000 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

I am about to leave for Paris for the first time in a few weeks. I was wondering if any of you have favourite places in and around Paris that you would recommend that are sort of "off the beaten path" (e.g., I already plan to see the Orsay, I am spending a few days at Versailles (the site of my conference), etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Print the post Back To Top
Author: icebrrrg Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 964 of 20990
Subject: Re: Paris and environs Date: 8/3/2000 7:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Not really off the beaten path, but will you be going to Sacre Couert? Sorry if I mangled the spelling, but German was always my thing.

A profound experience.

-m-

Author: jlitvak One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 965 of 20990
Subject: Re: Paris and environs Date: 8/3/2000 9:31 AM
Hi,

One of my favorite places is the Musée national du Moyen-Age-Thermes-de-Cluny, near the Sorbonne in the Latin quarter. It's a great place; part of it is built around old Roman baths from the 2nd century and it also contains some medieval Unicorn tapestries that are gorgeous.

Have fun!

Jacqueline

Author: joelmore One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 966 of 20990
Subject: Re: Paris and environs Date: 8/3/2000 9:41 AM
Here are several sights to consider. All can be reached by public transportation.

Fontainebleau - wonderful chateau approximately 60 km south of Paris.
Malmaison - home of Josephine and Napoleon in suburban Paris.
Chantilly - a Renaissance Chateau 30 miles north of Paris.

Author: MACDO001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 967 of 20990
Subject: Re: Paris and environs Date: 8/3/2000 2:56 PM
Jon
If you feel the need for some tex-mex while in Paris, look up the address for "The Studio". It's not far from the Centre George Pompideau (spelling?) and really worth the trouble to find. It's not the food that's so good but the local. It's built under a group of dance studios and the music and animation is worth the indigestion. The restaurant is located in the area called La Marais, which is the chic section of Gay Paris now. When you arrive at the address, you have to enter through a archway which hides the restaurant. You'll hear the music. There's also a live theater there in the courtyard but your French better be good to understand what's going on.

The area around Forum Les Halles is good for the night life. The area is mostly for pedestrians and great for walking around at night. Lots of bars and cafes. Nearby is another great place to stop for a drink at night-it's called Zimmer's I think. It's right near the metro stop "Chatelait" (spelling again). The furnishings and decor are turn of the century Paris.

There are good jazz clubs right around this area and it's not the usual tourist type of places.

Blvd. St.Germain at night is lively, and the Latin Quartier is also nearby.

Take care not to miss the last metro home which is about 1:00 in the morning. Getting a taxi at that hour is difficult.

Enjoy, and remember, don't miss the Studio.

MACDO001

Author: MACDO001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 968 of 20990
Subject: Re: Paris and environs Date: 8/3/2000 3:37 PM
Jon
I just remembered one of my favorite places in Paris. It's the Rodin Museum near the Eiffel Tower. It'll only take a couple of hours to visit completely but it's well worth the time. The Thinker is sitting in the Garden along with other nice statues. Lots of other nice stuff inside the museum too.

Quick to visit and cheap too.

MACDO001

Author: highlandspring One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 969 of 20990
Subject: Re: Paris and environs Date: 8/3/2000 6:38 PM
Don't miss "The Kiss" at the Rodin Museum. If you have a choice between seeing the gardens or the museum, see the gardens.

While you are on the grounds of Versailles, be sure to see Le Trianon, including "Hameau de la reine", where Queen Marie Antoinette played at being a shepherdess...

For a superb examples of Gothic architecture:

1. Notre Dame de Paris on Ile de St. Louis. Don't forget the Rose Windows.

2. St. Chappelle, the smaller personal chapel of French kings.

3. Consider day trip to Chartres.

For Impressionism, see:

1. Musee d'Orsay

2. Monet's Les Nympheas (Water Lilies) on permanent exhibition in basement of L'Orangerie on the Place de la Concorde: huge canvasses of water lilies

3. Jeu d' Paume impressionism museum near L'Orangerie.

4. Musee Marmottan

For Classical Art, consider the Louvre to see Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, Winged Victory, and paintings of Georges De La Tour.....If you go to the Louvre, get a map and figure out what you want to see, as you can spend days in there.

I would like to see Monet's gardens at Giverney....

Author: AgentMitten Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 970 of 20990
Subject: Re: Paris and environs Date: 8/4/2000 9:28 AM
For Impressionism, see:

3. Jeu d' Paume impressionism museum near L'Orangerie.

My guidebook says that Jeu de Paume no longer has impressionist works; they were moved over to Musee d'Orsay. It now shows contemporary works.

Mitten

Author: highlandspring One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 972 of 20990
Subject: Re: Paris and environs Date: 8/5/2000 3:33 PM
Thanks for the correction, Agent Mitten.

At least the gothic cathedrals should be in the same place ;) .

Author: soui Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 976 of 20990
Subject: Re: Paris and environs Date: 8/8/2000 1:21 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded. I will drop a note here when I get back.

Cheers,
soui

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement