UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: iamdb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Re: Times Piece on housing bubble Date: 6/24/2004 2:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Partial agreement with Loki and answer to TartyMae:

Loki,

CA property is far from homogeneous. The coastal area and beaches is what one often imagines when conjuring up an image of CA. This land is a scare commodity and has always been in demand during the 60 years I've been old enough to observe things like that. Then there are the inland areas, the Bakersfields and Riversides and so forth. These are not the image of CA, with its beautiful beaches and mild climate. This is essentially desert area, and it gets hot in the summer and colder in the winter. There is a lot more of this land in CA than there is coastal strip. Except for its commuting distance, a minor market crash in Riverside wouldn't surprise me. And builders can just move over a couple of miles to build the next tract of new houses and mini-mall. But if you want to live, say, in Santa Monica, as a lot of people with the means do, they are not making anymore of that, so it reamins a scarce commodity.

TartyMae,

In a rapidly rising market, your savings may not rise as fast as the market. I saw a number of colleagues get locked out of the market in the Stanford University area while they waited.

db
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement