Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: prime13 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2323  
Subject: Passport card Date: 4/3/2012 9:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently had to renew my passport and I decided to get a passport card in addition to the passport book. They just came yesterday and with the passport card came a letter telling me to check the passport card for correctness and to be careful with it and suggesting I keep it in a sleeve they included. At the bottom of the letter in large bold type it says "The U. S. passport card is not valid for air travel."

Does this mean that I cannot use it for identification when I go through security on on a flight? I am surprised by this since the TSA's website says that "Acceptable IDs include: ... the U.S. passport card". So I will assume that it is acceptable for flights but if that is the case, What is the State Department saying in the letter they sent with the passport card saying it is not valid for air travel? Any know what is going on? Maybe on my next flight I will bring the passport card in addition to my drivers license and see if I can get through security with the passport card. I can't image why it wouldn't be acceptable but I don't understand what the the letter was trying to say.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2318 of 2323
Subject: Re: Passport card Date: 4/7/2012 1:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
The U. S. passport card is not valid for air travel." Does this mean that I cannot use it for identification when I go through security on on a flight? I am surprised by this since the TSA's website says that "Acceptable IDs include: ... the U.S. passport card". So I will assume that it is acceptable for flights...

prime, did you perhaps miss a word in the letter?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html...
The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

See also:
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf\\

Passport Card FAQ
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3921.html...
...The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea....

...The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international travel by air.

The passport card can also be used for ID on domestic flights, in lieu of a driver's license.

http://bryansonners.hubpages.com/hub/United-States-Passport-...
...The TSA has announced that it will honor the card, as identity, at security checkpoints at airports. It can also be used within the United States for air travel and to enter federal buildings. This could be an option for people who are settled in the United States possessing driver's licenses that aren't compliant...

It is possible, knowing TSA-training (or lack thereof) that there might be more glitches, or slowdowns, with it for ID on domestic flights though, since they are more acclimated to dealing with driver's licenses. But that's just a supposition. They do list it as acceptable on their website.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents....
Adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

Acceptable IDs include:

U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
Permanent Resident Card
Border Crossing Card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
A Native American Tribal Photo ID
An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
A foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

Laura

Author: MisterFungi Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2319 of 2323
Subject: Re: Passport card Date: 7/12/2012 4:12 PM
I *think* what it means is that the passport card is acceptable as ID to get through airport security (TSA), but it is not acceptable in lieu of an actual passport if you fly to a country that requires a US passport.

Author: MisterFungi Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2320 of 2323
Subject: Re: Passport card Date: 7/12/2012 4:14 PM
Sorry! I now see that Laura covered it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement