UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pleached Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6630  
Subject: Patched java now available Date: 1/13/2013 4:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
jdk-7u11 or jre7-ull ( depending on which you want ) are now available from java.sun.com and contain a fix for this vulnerability
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6612 of 6630
Subject: Re: Patched java now available Date: 1/13/2013 6:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
jdk-7u11 or jre7-ull ( depending on which you want ) are now available from java.sun.com and contain a fix for this vulnerability

Curious. My Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6 system is running this version:

java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.9-2.3.3.2.el6_3-x86_64

that Red Hat automatically installed on Dec 12 21:44.

Oh! I see! There is a lot more to this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenJDK

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IcedTea

These links point to rather old Wikipedia articles. They seem true as of their dates, but things have happened since.

Author: pleached Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6613 of 6630
Subject: Re: Patched java now available Date: 1/13/2013 10:35 PM
I've always gotten best performance and best behavior from sun's jdk, so I install the rpms from java.sun.com ( both for my home system and for enterprise deployments ).

cheers,
dan

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6614 of 6630
Subject: Re: Patched java now available Date: 1/14/2013 7:36 AM
I've always gotten best performance and best behavior from sun's jdk, so I install the rpms from java.sun.com ( both for my home system and for enterprise deployments ).

I never thought about those. In the distant past, I always got the RPMs from IBM because I needed to run it with IBM's DB2 dbms, and the other sources did not work with that. When I switched to Red Hat Enterprise Linux, around 2003 or early 2004, I took what came with RHEL 3 that I was using at the time. I do not know what that was. I just looked recently and RHEL 6 seems to be running with openJava. AFAIK, I need Java only for my broker's web site, and I just use what I get. Possibly BigCharts needs it too; I no longer remember. At the time I was running RHEL 3, I stopped using DB2 (I would have needed to pay for a new license) and started using postgreSQL that did not require Java. I would have used postgreSQL earlier, but when I first needed a dbms (1998?) it did not work very well. I started with Informix when I was running Red Hat Linux 5, but when RHL 5.2 came out, it would no longer work and Informix was not interested in fixing it to work with other versions, so I switched to IBM's DB2.

I notice that Sun (Oracle) say that after you install theirs, you have to manually connect the plugin code to the browser. I have to do that with some other plugin (I forget which), and it is always a royal pain. At least the Java that comes with RHEL 6 does all that automatically. I am not sure what best performance means in the context of Java. You mean it runs noticeably faster? The parts of my broker's web site that require Java need not go particularly fast. Rendering a page in one second is plenty fast enough, and it does that without burning up much processor time.

Also, it is not clear that Sun's rpm is compatible with RHEL 6. The RPMs that work with that usually say .el6-X86_64-

Like this:

bind-9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6_3.6.x86_64
bind-chroot-9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6_3.6.x86_64
bind-libs-9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6_3.6.x86_64
bind-utils-9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6_3.6.x86_64
binutils-2.20.51.0.2-5.34.el6.x86_64

Those at Sun do not say that. This does not mean they will not work, but why should I go to all the extra work when Red Hat provide their stuff automatically?

Author: pleached Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6615 of 6630
Subject: Re: Patched java now available Date: 1/14/2013 11:05 AM
It isn't much extra work, just the download. For plugin support you do need to either repoint things via alternatives or via path and symlinking, but that is pretty easy. Especially early on when the open source java implementations were incomplete or wonky, and certainly when they came up slower on my benchmarks, it just seemed like the way to go. ( Though back in the days of green threads, the blackdown jdk was clearly the way to go; but that was a long time ago :D )

FWIW, I also roll my own RPMS of groovy based on codehaus tars because I find the fedora/rhel versions to be really annoying. Ditto for JBOSS and Tomcat ( which I need to integrate with Terracotta, but even so, the RedHat deployment with 900 dependencies is ungainly and overly rigid for anything but the simplest uses ). In general I go with what the distro gives me, but some times the distro is spun in ways that cut against my needs.

cheers,
dan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement