UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FoolishCop Big gold star, 5000 posts Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10413  
Subject: Re: SEC Investigations Date: 1/23/2003 11:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Patrick,

Here is the link to Whitney Tilson's original article where he warned Fool's about Farmer Mac:

http://www.fool.com/news/foth/2002/foth020807.htm

And yes, while he did point readers to Mr. Einhorn's website, he also provided links to the conference call and transcript. It is also noted at the bottom of the article that Tilson was short AGM at the time of the writing.

Is it collusion that three hedge fund managers thought AGM was a bad investment, or was it that by looking at the facts that they came to the conclusion? For me, I thought Tilson provided some thought-provoking commentary on the company and I remember going to the various sites to read the background because it was so interesting. But I never took a position one way or the other.

It could be that AGM is looking for others to blame for its poor performance. It could also be true that Tilson did "collude" with other hedge fund managers. For my part, though, I have found Tilson's commentary to be lively and interesting and always a good read.

I found the snippets of article you provided to be long on insinuation and short on facts. Let's see: they went to school together "around the same time." Oooooooo! Now he's to be vilified because he went to the 'wrong' school. I'm sure there were a couple of thousand people going to Harvard Business School "around the same time" as Tilson, et al. Are they all to be tainted too? And it wasn't that they also appeared together at a forum, but "Indeed" they appeared together at a forum on how to start a hedge fund. That's smear writing, trying to build guilt by association.

Edelman also didn't like the fact that the hedge funds didn't like his stock or his apparent shenanigans and they wrote about the opinions. Let's see, it wasn't too long ago analysts were being called to the carpet because they only provided a rosy outlook on stocks without revealing the negatives. Now, because they've revealed some troubling items about a company (did the article ever refute those points?) they're to be charged with collusion? Edelman's posture reminds me of a saying, "When the law is against you, stand on the facts. When the facts are against you, stand on the law. When the law and the facts are against you, stand on the table." Methinks Edelman doth protest too much and he's standing on the table for distraction.

I'm more than willing to give Tilson the benefit of the doubt until it can be proven otherwise, and by better means than innuendo.

Rich
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement