No. of Recommendations: 0
Patrick:

Personally, I prefer displaying the Transfer column in all my accounts and specify the destination in that column. This will create a Transfer:[CMI] or Transfer:[DIS] in the Category column. The Category can be overridden. I have transfers from a IRA account to a banking account that I use IRA Distribution as the Category. The destination banking account remains in the Transfer column.

For scheduling future transactions, I select the transaction that I want to schedule in the register after it is correctly configured, right click on the transaction, and click on Schedule Selected Transaction in the pop-up menu. By default it will display the day of the month. Days 1-4 have a dual function and are interpreted as weeks of the month when you select a day of the week. I was frustrated with scheduling my Social Security payment for the third Wednesday of the month until I realized the dual function of days 1-4.

I would use a transfer to move money from your checking account to the DIS and CMI transfer agents and Fidelity for that matter. I presume that the DIS and CMI transfer agents don't support downloading transactions to Quicken. In this case, you will need to manually create the Buy transactions to record the share price and fees charged by the transfer agent and number of shares purchased. You could schedule the Buy transaction as described above but would need to remember to adjust the transaction in the register after you know the details.

Matching is substantially better in the Mac version of Quicken than the Windows version as it uses both Payee and Amount to match transactions. The Mac can correctly recognize which Social Security deposits are for me and my wife. It eliminates the need to correct one transaction each month. I did have some transactions that didn't match. I created a manual check entry specifying Spectrum as the Payee. When I downloaded the transaction from my bank, it wouldn't match. Opening the FI Payee column, I discovered that they were still using Time Warner Cable when the submitted the checks for payment. I started making my checks out to Time Warner Cable and the problem disappeared.

As far as double entries are concerned, the Mac has a neat manual matching technique. Drag the duplicate transaction and drop it on the correct transaction. However, I have found it better to look at FI Payee field to see how the Payee should be named.

If you don't mind getting a little bleary-eyed, I would suggest opening the Help menu and finding the topic you are having problems with.

M C Crockett
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement