Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm still relatively new to being serious about genealogy, so I'm learning how to read the records and make some determinations. However, here are the first names of a series of direct ancestors from way back:

John W.
John
John Jr.
John III
Jonathan

And then my direct ancestor is named James, though there is also a Jonathan Jr. And I've only really explored the children of James, not the others in his generation - no telling how many Johns or Jonathans there are still.

So basically there are a series of overlapping years where any reference to anybody named any variation of John is very difficult to pin down.

Maddening. If I have another son I'm taking John off of the possible names list on principle.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement