Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (55) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 440797  
Subject: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/3/2013 10:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
http://jalopnik.com/5981323/rams-paul-harvey-farmer-commerci...

Full disclosure. I have never heard of Paul Harvey until about five minutes ago.

But I had a pretty visceral reaction to the commercial that basically bordered on nausea.

Just me? Lotta people seemed to think it was wonderful and are raving about Paul Harvey. Like I said, I'd never heard of him, but if that was an example, I prefer not to hear more.

GSF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417481 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/3/2013 10:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wow.... Paul Harvey - that really takes me back to long, long ago. I thought he died years ago. He must be like a hundred or something by now. His "The Rest of the Story" bit always ended up the local news on the one radio station we could get out here in the middle of nowhere when I was growing up and I'm in my sixties now. Maybe that was a recording from a bit taped some time ago because no way he could sound that good in his 90's.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417482 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/3/2013 10:47 PM
Recommendations: 4

Full disclosure. I have never heard of Paul Harvey until about five minutes ago.

You must be very young.
Good day!

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417483 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/3/2013 10:54 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Harvey

dead and DEAD.

NTTAWWT

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417484 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/3/2013 10:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
Good day!

Hah! I can actually hear that in my head with the inflection. Funny the weird things our brains retain.

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417485 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/3/2013 11:15 PM
Paul Harvey did a 15 minute noon hour news cast on ABC radio almost forever. I can remember him at least as far back as 1960. At some point he added a 5 minute "The Rest of the Story" feature which was usually quite interesting. It usually was on sometime between five and six PM.
Ted

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417486 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/3/2013 11:20 PM
Oh, A little trivia for the really old timers. Paul Harvey and Tony Randall both attended high school in Tulsa together.
Ted - lived in Tulsa for several years before being repatriated to Texas.

Author: johaba Two stars, 250 posts Mission Olympia 2 SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417488 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/3/2013 11:28 PM
I have one reaction to this ad, "yuck"!

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417489 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 12:13 AM
That was pure Paul Harvey - always tugging the heartstrings.

My college classmates in the late 60's would listen to him rant against Viet Nam protestors - partly just to see what he said and partly to chuckle about how he didn't "get it".

PM

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417490 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 1:28 AM
Recommendations: 6
I agree. It felt like pandering and left me feeling kind of gross for having watched it.

DEG

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417492 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 2:37 AM
True. Value.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417493 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 2:42 AM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkwuor_saturday-night-live-...

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417495 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 8:15 AM
Recommendations: 16
I guess GOd changed his mind and decided to make agribusiness executives to hire underpaid migrant workers growing GMO corn and soybeans to stuff the bellies of factory-farmed livestock, who hunger for native grasses and yearn to breathe free, and give us clogged arteries and drug-resistant bacteria instead of robust good health, not to mention heavily sprayed fruit and vegetables.

Maybe Mrs God likes small, family organic farms.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417498 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 8:37 AM
Paul Harvey did a 15 minute noon hour news cast on ABC radio almost forever.

That explains it. We didn't listen to the radio in my house growing up. When we did, it was for news, weather & traffic only, and it was on 1010 WINS news (AM in New York).

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417499 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 9:28 AM
Recommendations: 23
But I had a pretty visceral reaction to the commercial that basically bordered on nausea.

Same here.

This represents Madison Avenue capitalizing on the Sarah Palin mindset. Nothing wrong with farmers, I have respect for them, but so very very few Americans fall into this demographic. The genius of the advertisement is that so many want to pretend that they posses the virtues portrayed by Paul Harvey speech. We all imagine ourselves as noble farmers. So get out their and buy a Dodge Ram truck, and pretend you are a virtuous farmer as you clog the roads, consume middle east oil, and contribute to global warming.

Might also want to ad the optional gun rack, plastic jesus statue, and a NRA decal to fill out the picture.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417500 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 9:29 AM
We didn't listen to the radio in my house growing up. When we did, it was for news, weather & traffic only, and it was on 1010 WINS news (AM in New York).

I grew up near NYC, where my parents had classical WQXR on the radio all weekend. I remember the quirky proponent of "barococo" (baroque and rococo music), DeKoven. I spent most of my young-adult years in Eastern Mass. where I listened to WGBH and WBUR and remember the quirky and melifluous Robert J Lurtsema. Robert J hosted a live performance in the studio once a week IIRC. It was open to the public, and one time I decided to bring my 2 or 3-year old daughter. It happened to be Robert J's birthday, and he gave DD all the ribbons from his gifts, which helped her to sit quietly during the recital. He was as thoughtful in person as he sounded over the air. I also remember British productions of Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Hobbit as radio shows on one of the Boston stations.

Ah, nostaligia!

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417502 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 9:45 AM
Harvey's commercial is not a description of the modern farmer.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417504 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 10:05 AM
Recommendations: 12
Paul Harvey did a 15 minute noon hour news cast on ABC radio almost forever.

He started with a 5 minute morning news show, later expanded with a 15 minute broadcast at lunchtime. And even later added "The Rest Of The Story", which was a Jeopardy-ish 'Here are all the details, now 'the rest of the story.' in the afternoon. We carried all three on my station in Boston.

He was an uber-reliable voice of the Right, a Vietnam hawk, an antiabortionist, etc. and had the highest rated and most widely distributed radio program in the history of the medium. (The liberal media, heh.) At it's height the programs were carried on over 1,200 stations. By contrast today's most widely circulated program, Limbaugh, is on about 600.

I met him a couple of times when I worked in Chicago, he was always a gentleman. He put his son in the training chair (who mimicked Harvey's unique delivery). Dunno, I don't pay attention anymore. [Oh, I see they gave the show to Mike Huckabee, and it was cancelled after ONE WEEK. Wow, that's pathetic!]

One thing about him, he refused to let "just anybody" advertise on his program. He accepted no pre-recorded advertisements, ever, and wrote the scripts for the ads and products himself, only after using them personally, visiting the factories or the executives of the companies, etc. No Madison Avenue ad agency involvement of any kind allowed. If he said something it was with personal conviction, which didn't necessary make it right, but at least made it authentic.

His staccato delivery was as instantly identifiable as that of Walter Winchell or Howard Cosell, and he peppered the broadcasts with his own catch phrases: "Good morning America, this is Paul Harvey news ... and comment." Commercials were introduced with "Page .. Two!" (or three, etc.) And broadcasts were ended with "Paulll Haarrveeeey, Good day!". The unsung hero in his broadcasts was his wife, who actually developed some of the features - and tics - that made Harvey famous.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417505 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 10:40 AM
I heard exactly one broadcast by him, several years ago while staying with my conservative in-laws in Texas. When he died not long after, I read that the "page 2" stuff came from instructions he received in his early days when he was told to read *everything* on the page.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417506 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 10:48 AM
I could have done without the religious references, but it was a commercial for a truck. So the truck maker (Dodge, I think) can say whatever they want.

It caused much confusion amongst my crowd because they didn't see where it was going, and it was going for a loooooong time. I had no problem with the farmer aspect. Without them we all starve. An occasional reminder of that is fine with me.

But I did think it was too long, and the multiple references to imaginary friends (either explicit or implied) made it longer. It wasn't clear what it was about until very near the end (I thought it was going to be an ADM or farmer's association ad, or something similar). So it was really not a very good ad.

1poorguy (wasn't a fan, but knew who Paul Harvey was and sometimes heard one of his "rest of the story" bits)

Author: icono5 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417509 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 11:06 AM
Recommendations: 10
I'm old enough that the radio was a key medium in my youth--if only because my parents often declared the television off-limits! And I admit to being utterly charmed by Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" stories. After I learned more about his broader posture and politicking, I was struck by the disconnect between his gentle storytelling and his cultural harangues.

When PH centered on particular people and their circumstances, he could come across as very warm and compassionate. But when he editorialized more directly . . . look out. There's an object lesson in that contrast for me: to the greatest degree possible, we should approach problems through the lenses of real people and real circumstances--rather than just defaulting to our comfortable ideological scripts.

But here I post that hope on a largely anonymous internet message board, so maybe my idealistic streak is showing!

Steve

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417510 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 11:08 AM
So it was really not a very good ad.

It was if you're sucking up to the Ag industry and trying to idntify with those "salt of the earth" Americans.

This "down home" thing is very big in pick up truck sales. A few years ago Ford did a big ad campaign built around an environmental theme. The goobs went ballistic. GM became the truck darling. Then GM accepted aid from the gummit so Ford and Chrysler made a comeback.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417511 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 11:17 AM
So it was really not a very good ad.

I don't know. Getting some discussion going. I'm sure it reached the target pickup truck buying audience just fine. Shoulda had some guns in it.

I don't see the attraction with pickup trucks. Mostly the ones I see carry air or occasionally a sofa. Why pay all that extra in gas to occasionally carry a sofa? Must be a macho thing, to have the ability to transport a sofa.

Author: SpeedBump13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417512 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 11:31 AM
He was an uber-reliable voice of the Right, a Vietnam hawk, an antiabortionist, etc. and had the highest rated and most widely distributed radio program in the history of the medium.

Great summary, "Stand BY for NEWS."

I never met the man, but he did get his start in Kansas before moving on to the big time. My parents were loyal fans back home and never missed the show. I probably heard over 2000 hours of Paul Harvey. His vice was unique and his storytelling was spellbinding on "The Rest of the Story." Along with Lawrence Welk, Harvey was the soundtrack of my childhood.

Unfortunately, the college drop-out should have stuck to storytelling and reading the news, rather than editorializing. He was an anti-modern, Luddite, Conservative. Who can count the millions of impressionable listeners he mislead over the years?

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417513 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 11:32 AM
I don't see the attraction with pickup trucks. Mostly the ones I see carry air or occasionally a sofa. Why pay all that extra in gas to occasionally carry a sofa? Must be a macho thing, to have the ability to transport a sofa.

Sometimes 1poorlady makes noises about getting a pickup truck. A small one (not one of those extended bed super-duty turbo diesels!). Maybe a Tacoma. Usually when she's bought some plants, or garden soil and gypsum, etc. Pretty much can't get that home in her Honda, and while the Jeep is great it's still not as capable as a pickup for hauling loads like that.

I'm not sure it hit its target audience well because the target audience has an extremely short attention span. The ad took too long to make its point. The target audience had probably wandered away to "take a leak", grab beer, etc, but the time the punchline came in.

The detergent ad was much better, IMO. Joe Montana stain...I loved that one on several levels. :-)

Author: MDGluon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417514 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 11:38 AM
Recommendations: 2

It is not really a description of any farmer at any time....it is pure fictional heart string pulling sacharin imagery.

Having grown up on farms, worked on them, and known real farmers his little "story" is cute yet completely inaccurate.

md

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417515 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 11:40 AM
Recommendations: 7
But I did think it was too long, and the multiple references to imaginary friends (either explicit or implied) made it longer.

Not to mention our salt-of-the-earth farmer attending school board meetings till midnight, stopping his plowing to splint the broken leg of meadow lark, or staying up all night with a newborn colt, then weeping at when it dies.

Doesn't sound like any farmer I know. I expect most farmers would cuss out the school board and run over the meadow lark with the tractor.

I can't believe that so many are so stupid as to lap this crap up. I expect my facebook page will be full of sanctimonious breast-beating real Americans "liking" this commercial.

Idiots.

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417516 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 11:47 AM
We watched that. It had a few good moments, but it was certainly one-sided. DH was a farm boy (dairy). He got a BA and two MAs to make sure he'd NEVER have to make his living that way. And they left out the part about being a farmer means being possibly being in debt up to your eyeballs.

Not that DH's father ever had to do that, as he was permanently crippled in a wreck with a commercial truck--that settlement was what kept the family farm solvent. It also meant that his brother, at about 15, had to take on pretty much all of the physical part of running a farm. Not such a romantic picture in real life.

I like having a truck "in the family" (DS has an F-150) but wouldn't want one for me or DH.

cm,
always thought PH had one of the most irritating voices ever

Author: SpeedBump13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417517 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 11:53 AM
I don't see the attraction with pickup trucks. Mostly the ones I see carry air or occasionally a sofa. Why pay all that extra in gas to occasionally carry a sofa? Must be a macho thing,

I have lived on the Plains all my life. In high school, back in Kansas, a pickup was a symbol of the goat roper clique, who lived in the country, chewed tobacco, and wore boots to school.

Much the same ethic exists in modern Texas. Many Texans use pickups to haul supplies to and from their ranches and it is a strong part of the cowboy image that so many long to be associated with, the closest thing to riding a horse on suburban Texas freeways. Chevy and Toyota sell a "Texas Edition" and Ford sells a "King Ranch" edition, named for an 825,000 acre ranch in South Texas. Pickups are hugely popular with those who need them for work and those who just want to look like they work for a living. Ads always depict the 1% of owners who plow through mud to get the job done. Insecure boys of all ages still drive them to feel macho. If you can afford four wheel drive, bolt-on accessories, dual rear wheels, or a brush guard, so much the better. http://imganuncios.mitula.net/2008_ford_f350_for_sale_in_sal...

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417519 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 12:20 PM
I watched parts of the 90 SB ads that HuffPo put up this morning online.

Watched some, skipped several altogether and clicked through others. The Paul Harvey ad didn't last long on the screen. <shudder>

Chili

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417522 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 12:43 PM
Recommendations: 3
Another ad I didn't like was the kid asking where babies come from. It's sort of one of my pet peeves that parents don't give their kids the facts. When the kid is old enough to ask the question, they deserve a real answer. Sure, tailor it somewhat to their level of understanding. But don't make up a bunch of BS as that father did (even though the imagery was very much like sperm descending on an ovum). Answer the kid's effin' question, you twit! That irritated me sufficiently that if there was humor in the ad I didn't notice it.

Didn't like Doritos goat, either, but mostly because I thought it was stupid.

1poorguy (actually missed most of it as I had other stuff to do, but saw some as my tasks took me within range of the TV)

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417526 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 1:00 PM
Another ad I didn't like was the kid asking where babies come from.

I had the exact same reaction, especially when the kid said that one of his friends said... and Mommy and Daddy put on "Wheels on the Bus." Yes, let's infantilize them for as long as possible!!!

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417527 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 1:02 PM
The detergent ad was much better, IMO. Joe Montana stain...I loved that one on several levels. :-)

We liked that one. My wife (ex-catholic, from a P&G family) said it was the best ad of the lot.

Trucks are useful. I rent one when I need one.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417531 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 1:38 PM
I think that was a pretty fantastic ad. Some of the best photography I've seen on TV! And frankly - having grown up in a farming community - pretty true to most of the farmers I knew as a kid.

Many people still buy those big trucks for work. Farmers, construction guys, artists and metal workers who need to haul large things - I know these people and they do USE their big trucks. A lot.

Me, I need a small car that will fit in any tiny urban parking spot. But I don't care if people buy big trucks. If it doesn't work for me, I don't buy it. Why would you get all worked up about an ad about a product you don't care about? Really? Why care? So they say "god". Big whoop. Again, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Me, I don't drink beer and think those advertisements are pretty stupid. But I don't care if they are on or not. Doesn't affect me.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417540 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 2:53 PM

I hit FF as soon as I saw the church.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417541 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 3:05 PM

I always crack up when I see these suburban moms trying to maneuver their extended-cab pickups around in parking lots and drive-thrus.

Author: CountNoCount Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417548 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 4:02 PM
Good day!

Hah! I can actually hear that in my head with the inflection. Funny the weird things our brains retain.

How about that clickity Schick razor, guys?

Count No'Count

Author: CountNoCount Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417549 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 4:15 PM
I grew up near NYC, where my parents had classical WQXR on the radio all weekend. I remember the quirky proponent of "barococo" (baroque and rococo music), DeKoven.

Ah! DeKoven Presents! It were my favorite program for some years. Joined his club, and corresponded with him a bit. He learned me a lot about baroque music.

Count No'Count

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417551 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 4:57 PM
I think that was a pretty fantastic ad. Some of the best photography I've seen on TV! And frankly - having grown up in a farming community - pretty true to most of the farmers I knew as a kid.

The photography was excellent, terrific images. I remember Paul Harvey on the radio when I was growing up. It felt oddly comforting to hear his voice again. I even liked how the left the tape hiss on the recording. I'm sure they could have fixed that digitally, but it sounded better somehow hearing the hiss in there.

The material was over the top sappy, but I imagine it was a home run with the target demo. Hell, it made me want to by a Dodge.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417552 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 5:02 PM
I have lived on the Plains all my life. In high school, back in Kansas, a pickup was a symbol of the goat roper clique, who lived in the country, chewed tobacco, and wore boots to school.

That was true at my high school too. True like the savings you'll find at your local True Value hardware store this weekend.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417554 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 6:27 PM
In high school, back in Kansas, a pickup was a symbol of the goat roper clique, who lived in the country, chewed tobacco, and wore boots to school.

In high school, back in England, a moped was the symbol of the wanna be a biker clique... We wore boots and leather jackets to school. :-)

Hey, it was better than walking or the bus. There was was guy who sometimes borrowed his mom's car, when it was raining.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417555 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 6:31 PM
Hell, it made me want to by a Dodge

We love our Dodge Ram Powerwagons. When you have to drive up and down isolated eroded bluff trails and cross deep soft beaches, drive down and climb back up steep sand berms, it's the best truck there is.

Cruising down the beach at sunrise in that thing - all confident - with all the nice toys they built into it, it's a beautiful thang.

So far (knocking on wood) we haven't had to winch out one our own. With Dodges built in 12k winch, we've pulled out Fords and GM's that tried to follow us.

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417560 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 7:06 PM

It probably isn't an accurate representation of many, if not most, of earlier era farmers.

Loathed Paul Harvey, though did not recognize the couple of seconds that I saw the advertisement as anything to do with him. I just felt slimed.

I think Paul Harvey and the American Heritage Foundation were among the first few things I disliked intensely when I moved to the U.S. in 1968. The man was right-wing filth.

Wessex

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417562 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/4/2013 7:30 PM
The material was over the top sappy,
True, that. But as an architect I give a lot of weight to the visual. The photos were so damn amazing, that they could have been reading the ingredients on a soup can and I'd still have liked the advert.

Author: olRoger One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417566 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 2:28 AM
AdrianC:

Are the sofas convertible, unfolding to a bed in the bed?

ol R

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417569 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 10:38 AM

Before I remarried, I bought one after coming into an unexpected windfall, to pull things around. My wife does not want me to sell it because the first several times she drove it, she got hit on. (She does look awfully good with the truck.) So, 18 years later it's still here and has the fewest miles of any of our vehicles. It does make a decent backup whenever one of our other vehicles is in the shop.

rj

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417570 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 10:57 AM
So, 18 years later it's still here and has the fewest miles of any of our vehicles.

We have a '98 Cherokee 4x4. Straight-6. Has about 70K miles on it. Our 2008 Honda has over 50K miles on it already. It will surpass the Jeep within a couple of years, I'm sure since it's our main driver.

We mostly use the Jeep for road trips and errands when we expect large loads (HD, often Costco, etc). It's great for road trips because it can handle just about anything we may encounter. But the mileage sucks (I can coax about 19mpg out of it most times...I've gotten as high as 22 or so, but that was unusual). I make a point of driving it at least once a month regardless to keep everything "loose".

1poorguy

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417588 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 2:38 PM
It is not really a description of any farmer at any time....

Farming has been romanticized to death in the American mythology.

However, the dairy farmers I dealt with in the 70's in NY were pretty hardworking jacks of all trades.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417595 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 2:57 PM
Not as sappy as the Bud commercial about a boy and his horse.

And are there no black or Hispanic farmers in America? Or do only white people buy pickups?

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417598 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 3:11 PM

Not as sappy as the Bud commercial about a boy and his horse.

Interesting.
That commercial was probably my favorite of the entire lot.
If you think the love between human and animal is "sappy" then there isn't much anyone can say to you that would make you understand.

AM

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417599 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 3:25 PM
Recommendations: 5
And are there no black or Hispanic farmers in America? Or do only white people buy pickups?

Brown & black people can buy trucks, but it still doesn't make them Real Americans™.

For that, you have to be white, evangelical, rural AND drive a pickup.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417603 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 4:43 PM

============
Before I remarried, I bought one after coming into an unexpected

i had one for grad/law-schoo -- didn't own much stuff was moving every year and knew there'd be at least one more move.

.... and was able to sleep in it on road trips.

=

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417606 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 4:55 PM
goofnoff: Farming has been romanticized to death in the American mythology.

However, the dairy farmers I dealt with in the 70's in NY were pretty hardworking jacks of all trades.

True in my (limited) experience here in MN. It requires a variety of talents, particularly planning, engineering/machining, financial smarts, and a lot of hard work, particularly exactly when it's needed.

It also pays well, on average. But the variance is quite high, and it only takes one major financial goof up or a few bad years to go bankrupt.

One farmer of my acquaintance here has, over the last 23 years, bought out five of his neighbors. They've gone bankrupt for a variety of reasons -- poor financial planning, over-investment in irrigation, failure/inability to store grain for the best prices, &c. He's a talented machinist, and works a full-time job as well -- but the plant closes during planting and harvest.

rj

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417608 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 5:01 PM
Interesting.
That commercial was probably my favorite of the entire lot.
If you think the love between human and animal is "sappy" then there isn't much anyone can say to you that would make you understand.

there's good Sappy and there's creepy Sappy

the former was the latter and the latter former (IMO)

of the ads i remember, Horse was my 2d fave ...after the Oreo ad.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417613 of 440797
Subject: Re: Paul Harvey Ram Commercial Date: 2/5/2013 5:18 PM

Nah, I love my dog. Cried when my cats died. And I know horse people. But that ad just seemed weird to me.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (55) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement