UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744609  
Subject: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/20/2012 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Nostalgianomics, again

"Krugman recognizes, in a dig at conservative ’50s nostalgia, that the days of his boyhood were also “the days when minorities and women knew their place, gays stayed firmly in the closet and congressmen asked, ‘Are you now or have you ever been?’” But then he serves up some ’50s nostalgia of his own. “America in the 1950s made the rich pay their fair share; it gave workers the power to bargain for decent wages and benefits; yet contrary to right-wing propaganda then and now, it prospered. And we can do that again.”

This is nothing new from Krugman. Indeed, a few years back I wrote a paper entitled “Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics.” It’s true that the quarter-century after World War II was a kind of Golden Age for the American economy, with rapid productivity growth matched by strong income gains across the socioeconomic spectrum. But it doesn’t follow that the economic policies of that era are a good model for us now — any more than China’s spectacular growth in recent decades means that we would grow faster if we just instituted rampant corruption and oppressive autocracy."

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/nostalgianomics-again/

LOL. Krugman got pwned!

The rest of the article is pretty good too.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: twopairfullhouse Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656318 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/21/2012 10:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
any more than China’s spectacular growth in recent decades means that we would grow faster if we just instituted rampant corruption and oppressive autocracy

I believe Obama's already got us on the road to such a worker's paradise.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656575 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 2:23 AM
Recommendations: 1
Krugman recognizes, in a dig at conservative ’50s nostalgia, that the days of his boyhood were also “the days when minorities and women knew their place, gays stayed firmly in the closet and congressmen asked, ‘Are you now or have you ever been?’” But then he serves up some ’50s nostalgia of his own.

Just an aside... I sometimes wonder how gay people managed to meet each other and hook up back in the old days. How the heck did they find each other?

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656578 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 2:36 AM
I sometimes wonder how gay people managed to meet each other and hook up back in the old days. How the heck did they find each other?

I heard that there was a secret network of gay tin cans and string. Is that just an urban legend?

--fleg

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656582 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 2:52 AM
I heard that there was a secret network of gay tin cans and string. Is that just an urban legend?

--fleg

Have you been watching too many Consumer Cellular commercials, fleg?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiJR5Cpma8o

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656640 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 2:03 PM
"Just an aside... I sometimes wonder how gay people managed to meet each other and hook up back in the old days. How the heck did they find each other?" - andrew

Goo-goo eyes. It was probably easier for those gays who were flaming to meet other gay men because they were so obvious. The way they dress, talk, hold their hands and bodies, etc. Mannerisms, wearing a certain type of hankerchief, and there were certain places or bars that it was common knowledge were hangouts for gays to meet. Parks, restrooms, etc. Not conducive for forming long term relationships that's for sure but very conducive for passing on the HIV virus.

Art

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656647 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 2:53 PM
Goo-goo eyes. It was probably easier for those gays who were flaming to meet other gay men because they were so obvious. The way they dress, talk, hold their hands and bodies, etc. Mannerisms, wearing a certain type of hankerchief, and there were certain places or bars that it was common knowledge were hangouts for gays to meet. Parks, restrooms, etc. Not conducive for forming long term relationships that's for sure but very conducive for passing on the HIV virus.

Except that the HIV virus hadn't yet made its debut among the gay male population back then. That didn't occur until around 1979 or so.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656663 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 6:10 PM
-----------------

Except that the HIV virus hadn't yet made its debut among the gay male population back then. That didn't occur until around 1979 or so.
===============

Is there any truth about gays wearing a pansy lapel flower in the 1890s? I can't find it anywhere, but one of Murdoch's Mysteries has an episode on gays at that time, and talks about the flower. Interesting show. The dective learns gays are OK people after all. <g> It's on Netflix instant play:
Season 1, Episode 5 "Til Death Do Us Part"
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Murdoch_Mysteries/70143861...

arrete

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656683 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 10:16 PM
"Except that the HIV virus hadn't yet made its debut among the gay male population back then. That didn't occur until around 1979 or so." - Andrew

The stage was being set. The lifestyle was perfect for passing the virus from person to person. It was easy going attitude among gays towards sex that allowed the virus to be passed so easily. In bath houses and gay bars and other mixing places where gay men gathered for casual sex.

A whole generation around my age were wiped out by the HIV virus. If I had been gay I'd be dead from AIDS now. I'm fairly certain that if I had been gay I would have been flaming because I've always been true to who I was. If I had been gay I would have been "out there" having a gay old time. I've never pretended to be anything or anybody but what I am.

Art

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656684 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 10:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
The stage was being set. The lifestyle was perfect for passing the virus from person to person. It was easy going attitude among gays towards sex that allowed the virus to be passed so easily. In bath houses and gay bars and other mixing places where gay men gathered for casual sex.

That "lifestyle" really didn't come into full bloom until the 1970s. It was after the Stonewall riots which occurred in June 1969.

A whole generation around my age were wiped out by the HIV virus. If I had been gay I'd be dead from AIDS now.

If I hadn't suffered from so much social anxiety during my young adult years I am certain I'd be dead from AIDS now. My shyness and inhibitions might have actually saved my life. No joke.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656689 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 10:57 PM
A whole generation around my age were wiped out by the HIV virus. If I had been gay I'd be dead from AIDS now.
-----------------
If I hadn't suffered from so much social anxiety during my young adult years I am certain I'd be dead from AIDS now. My shyness and inhibitions might have actually saved my life. No joke.
=============

I believe you. My best friend from high school died of Aids. To show you how clueless I was, I didn't even know he was gay until I was a year out of high school. He really was there at the wrong time. Very sad.

arrete - I guess I'm glad you were shy, andrew. Curt was definetly not shy. Too bad for him. Hope Art's right and I get to see him again some day.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656695 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 11:49 PM
"If I hadn't suffered from so much social anxiety during my young adult years I am certain I'd be dead from AIDS now. My shyness and inhibitions might have actually saved my life. No joke." - andrew

My friend John that is gay got married to a woman and had three kids. His two daughters are both doctors and his son is a computer programmer working for the New York State Police. If he hadn't gotten married and tried to live a straight life he might have picked up the HIV virus in some clandestine encounter. He didn't embrace his gayness till after his wife left him and took the kids which was in like the early 1990's.

John and I met in college in an Animal Science class in the summer of 1975. He found out I was butchering animals and he wanted to get in on that. His uncle owned a slaughterhouse in Utica, New York and he had worked there. I didn't find out John was gay till after he got divorced in the early 1990's and he finally told me he was gay. He was worried that if I found out we wouldn't be friends anymore. I told him that I didn't care (I'm liberal as hell when it comes to stuff like that) but I was glad to know so I would quit trying to set him up with girls!

So John and I have been friends now for 37 years. John met his boyfriend in Key West, Florida in 1995. They've been together now for 17 years. They live together in Walla Walla, Washington.

By the way I also have a brother named John and used to have an Uncle John and I have a nephew that is named John David. My grandfather was also named John Henry.

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656697 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/23/2012 11:59 PM
arrete - "I guess I'm glad you were shy, andrew. Curt was definetly not shy. Too bad for him. Hope Art's right and I get to see him again some day."
---------------

Arrete, this NDE description is about a woman who was born blind who could see during her NDE. It's a very cool NDE and was featured in Dr. Ken Ring's book "Mindsight". You should read it. I copy and pasted the part about her seeing some of her friends on the other side. The whole thing is cool though.

People Born Blind Can See During a NDE
Dr. Kenneth Ring's NDE Research of the Blind

excerpt from Vicki's NDE:
"Vicki then becomes aware of specific persons she knew in life who are welcoming her to this place. There are five of them. Debby and Diane were Vicki's blind schoolmates, who had died years before, at ages 11 and 6, respectively.

In life, they had both been profoundly retarded as well as blind, but here they appeared bright and beautiful, healthy and vitally alive.

And no longer children, but, as Vicki phrased it, "in their prime."

In addition, Vicki reports seeing two of her childhood caretakers, a couple named Mr. and Mrs. Zilk, both of whom had also previously died. Finally, there was Vicki's grandmother - who had essentially raised Vicki and who had died just two years before this incident. In these encounters, no actual words were exchanged, Vicki says, but only feelings - feelings of love and welcome."

To read full description click on link:

http://near-death.com/experiences/evidence03.html

Art

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656700 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/24/2012 2:12 AM
By the way I also have a brother named John and used to have an Uncle John and I have a nephew that is named John David. My grandfather was also named John Henry.

Art

I had an uncle named John Henry (Henry was his last name, not his middle name). His grandson Scott is just a year younger than I am and lives in the Twin Cities area, and is gay.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656718 of 744609
Subject: Re: Paul Krugman’s Nostalgianomics, again Date: 11/24/2012 10:25 AM
-----------

Heh. I have two brothers named John (one's a step), a grandfather, and a son. A grandson named Ian (Irish for John). My DIL's family has lots of Johns, too, so her kids have multiple Uncle (and great uncle) Johns. It gets confusing.

arrete - my son John (whom I call Juanito) was named after my grandfather, who cried when he found out. Grandfather died soon afterwards, so I'm glad we named the kid after him.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement