Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 156967  
Subject: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 9/25/2012 11:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
"...Windows 8 operating system is being released before it’s fully ready" - Intel CEO, Paul Otellini

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-25/windows-8-bugs-plag...

"While Windows is fundamentally sound, the operating system lacks a wide range of robust applications and PC makers haven’t had enough time to work out kinks with so-called drivers, which connect software to such hardware as printers" - Michael Cherry at Directions on Microsoft

Not good.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155904 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 9/26/2012 5:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
In the article "and PC makers haven’t had enough time to work out kinks with so-called drivers, which connect software to such hardware as printers"

LOL...."so-called" drivers? Is that for a so-called operating system? Driver seems like the right term - not sure why Cherry says so-called.
Just amused at the quote - as if drivers is new to the computer industry or consumer lexicon. Yes, driver changes yet again means potential for Vista like problems at rollout....consumers (and even MS's own Executives) have little tolerance for their printer etc drivers not working out of the starting gate.
B

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155906 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 9/26/2012 6:51 AM
Recommendations: 0
LOL...."so-called" drivers? Is that for a so-called operating system? Driver seems like the right term - not sure why Cherry says so-called.
Just amused at the quote - as if drivers is new to the computer industry or consumer lexicon. Yes, driver changes yet again means potential for Vista like problems at rollout....consumers (and even MS's own Executives) have little tolerance for their printer etc drivers not working out of the starting gate.
B

Driver issues, there's something new ;)

Author: TheCrusader Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155907 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 9/26/2012 9:09 AM
Recommendations: 1
Problem is no matter how much time you give developers its never enough.

Everyone seems to forget the massive driver issues that XP had, far more than Vista.

I am not sure what he is getting at I am not having problems with the release preview.

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155908 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 9/26/2012 1:25 PM
"so-called" drivers?

Made me chuckle too. I'm not sure what the deal was with that.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155909 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 9/26/2012 3:08 PM
Everyone seems to forget the massive driver issues that XP had, far more than Vista.

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155910 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 9/26/2012 4:21 PM
Recommendations: 1

What were the main competing forces XP was facing? OS/2? Apple System 9?

Neither appealed to business consumers at all.

OSX is going gangbusters right now, and on the tablets, people are happy with the iPad. Don't you think Microsoft *needs* this to be a solid release?

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155911 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 9/27/2012 8:35 AM
Recommendations: 5
"Problem is no matter how much time you give developers its never enough."

That's too dismissive of the REAL problem. And why is that an acceptable excuse for a MS OS that's been in the making for years but not other products that have as high or less exposure? Who's steering this ship - the developers or management?! Who in this business doesn't know that drivers are the 1st thing a tester or a user cares about because their hardware is worthless without that support? Is just as MS's own executives that threw hissyfits when their printers won't work. It seems selective short term memory strikes again.

The real problem is MS keeps changing driver models every 2 OS versions and doesn't plan accordingly for the backlash. Don't blame the 3rd party developers for that or the lack of a decent early SDK or even these days for the lack of something like a driver emulation-translation layer (many of the drivers that lag or get orphaned are for lower performance devices yet valued ones - a form of VM where you didn't have to buy an old OS license is well withing MS's powers).

And if you want to be taken seriously don't infer it's about the developers that always just want more time - they do what they're told by managers and often are given cross purposes & impossible schedules. Managers steer the ship and sight the goals - developers pull & feather their oars at predicitable pace.

"Everyone seems to forget the massive driver issues that XP had, far more than Vista."

Wrong - XP didn't have slight or massive driver problems (specifically) because drivers from W2K/NT5.0 worked fine with it (still do). You're confusing driver problems with other problems XP DID have. Vista on the other hand was a new driver model and was an admitted disaster as evident from the emails from MS executives complaining that even they were effected & frustrated by it. Also MS stripped the legacy driver support out from Vista that we alpha testers & developers had been enjoying pre-release so that too made for some expectation problems or at best confusion.

"I am not sure what he is getting at I am not having problems with the release preview"

Sure, and you defended Vista too at the time of it's release so this is no surprise - you're a MS evangelist more than observant of problems others have. If Otellini raises drivers as one of the problems of W8 being released now it's not just to dis MS and it's not like MS hasn't bumbled this in the past despite diehards here and elsewhere not getting what the real problem is.
B

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155912 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 9/27/2012 9:10 AM
Recommendations: 2
The real problem is MS keeps changing driver models every 2 OS versions and doesn't plan accordingly for the backlash. Don't blame the 3rd party developers for that or the lack of a decent early SDK or even these days for the lack of something like a driver emulation-translation layer (many of the drivers that lag or get orphaned are for lower performance devices yet valued ones - a form of VM where you didn't have to buy an old OS license is well withing MS's powers).

And if you want to be taken seriously don't infer it's about the developers that always just want more time - they do what they're told by managers and often are given cross purposes & impossible schedules. Managers steer the ship and sight the goals - developers pull & feather their oars at predicitable pace.

Not to belittle the hard work people put into the drivers.

What is so special about a given driver that they must be changed radically within the framework of a new OS? I'll give some neophyte perspective to this question. I'm sure some changes might be required, but do they require a whole new drawing board? Is there something within Microsoft's Windows developer routines that require the wheel to be reinvented each time?

Why is it that I have rarely had driver issues with OSX, and routinely added plug and play peripherals to even OS9 some 12 years ago? Why is it most everything works with my Macs, no matter the source, but I go through endless installations and searches when using W7? Not to say Macs don;t have these issues, sometimes they do.

But why spend billions developing and rolling out a new OS, only to have people worried about something as inelegant as drivers? Isn't this like rolling out a new car, only to find out there's a shortage of compatible batteries to start it? Or maybe the headlights don't all work?

For a monopoly industry that claims to have business and the world wrapped around the infrastructure, it continually seems like I need to go out and hire new people for the same job, over and over ;)

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155921 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 10/8/2012 4:47 PM
OSX is going gangbusters right now

This one again.

In the United States - yes.

But the United States is saturated.

In the rest of the world - no.

OSX has yet to significantly move the global marketshare number. The PC business goes far beyond the OSX growth that Apple enjoys in North America.

No plans to update to Win8, have an iPhone in my pocket and writing this on Firefox - but lets keep facts on international corporations sticking to the international picture.

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156182 of 156967
Subject: Re: Paul Otellini: Windows 8 'Not Ready' Date: 12/28/2012 11:38 AM
I have a new PC with Windows 8 installed. I can attest that Windows8 IS NOT READY for Prime time. Drivers do not work, many basic hardware devices are NOT Supported. So far Windows 8 is a POS, and POS in NOT equal to "Point-Of-Sale".

I am going to dump WIN8 and install Linux -- if I do not return the PC. I have 30 days to do that.

Kahuna, CFA
Venture Capital
General Partner
2012 - 2019

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement