UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 129279  
Subject: Re: You pr'ly don't now: Best floor paint? Date: 10/22/2012 2:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Paul,

Somehow I knew you were going to start off your next post with accidental discoveries, and in fact I almost went there without you to pre-empt it. Yes indeed, surprises happen, but how do you think they are manufactured reproducibly? By accident? Do you think that those "accidental discoveries" are snap one and done, or a result of observation and experimentation? While the idea for a product other than what you were trying to develop may come out of a trial gone awry, it takes much experimentation, measurement, recording and analyzing data and testing. Even the most banal product has to meet a relatively tight range of a number of test points. No consistency in product means no sale.

Heck, even when I'm developing a new food recipe, or improving on an existing one, I take notes on what goes in and when. To say: "For instance scientists just start mixing this with that until they get some kind of goo and depending on how quick it dries, they may call it paint, plastic, rubber, flubber, you get the idea.", is very simplistic at best, a term you will no doubt take offense to at worst. When trying to develop a new product or improve an existing one a scientist will start off with an idea and then develop an experiment to test that idea. The process which will no doubt be a series of experiments will be documented in one place so that what is learned will not be lost. It's not a nilly willy process such as you describe.

IP
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement