UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1488  
Subject: Re: Others with un-retirement? Your ratio? Date: 11/11/2007 6:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
pauleckler:

...there are also those who dream of being retired with free time on the hands to allow them to pursue whatever their hearts desire.

Right here, to name two of us!!!

Some of them realize when they retire, that retirement is not all its cracked up to be.

Ah, yes, but some find it just wonderful -- as do we, even now, several years later. FREEDOM! Freedom from jerkwater bosses, freedom from expensive commutes and all that wasted time out of one's "soul", as I called it, driving to and from work; freedom to do EVERY day pretty much WHAT you choose, IF you choose, and HOW you choose. Love it.

Work can be a source of pride, a fun thing to do, and a great social experience after you work side by side with people who become almost like family.

True. As professionals, we both felt that way, too, for most of our respective careers. However, came the time when the "bean counters" and "mental midget" bosses seemed to become predominant there, and it felt rather nice, actually, to me to be laid off with a settlement! I did some consulting for a year or two, but decided that was sort of not what I wanted any more, either. She, too, had reached a time when it was a relief to, mentally, at least, say "Take this job and shove it!"

Retirement can be quite a come down. That is why some do it in stages. Work part time for a while. Or even go back to work after retiring for a while.

Yes, for some. I doubt we'll ever get there. We still love being retired and free.

To each his own.

Yes -- THAT is the bottom line!

Vermonter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement