UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49438  
Subject: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/5/2013 3:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My kids are graduating from college in May, and are currently job hunting. DD has been pursued by a company down in Atlanta that has been telling her they don't interview til Feb, and she should call to schedule an interview. So she just called them, and they want her to go down there for the interview, but they will not reimburse travel expenses. As she's up in MA, this will not be cheap, so I told her to just say thanks, but no thanks as I cannot imagine a college kid being expected to foot the bill for their own travel for job interviews. I can't imagine anyone in the work force doing that, either, but especially a college kid who typically won't have any money.

So my question is if this is the norm now, and should she actually be expecting to pay for her travel while job interviewing? Anyone on the board have any experience here or words of wisdom to pass along to her? Did I give her the correct advice?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49073 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/5/2013 4:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was once invited to travel at my own expense from Atlanta to New York (Manhattan) for an interview. I declined.

Fuskie
Who suggests if she likes the company and wants to make it work, check out Amtrak student fares...

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49074 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/5/2013 5:56 PM
In a buyers market, anything goes. If the employer feels there are suitable candidates living in the area, those who require moving expenses are at a disadvantage.

For some positions interviewing is a local activity. For entry level positions that may be the new norm. When the candidate needs experience, travel and moving expenses are more likely.

But why work for an employer who watches pennies this closely? Only if the employer offers something special.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49075 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/5/2013 6:10 PM
If the employer feels there are suitable candidates living in the area, those who require moving expenses are at a disadvantage.

I can see this, but we're only talking interview expenses, and she didn't get that. I'd be fine with no moving expenses because she'd have the job, but I'm not so fine with her expending her own very limited resources just for an interview, particularly when it is just the first round anyhow.

But why work for an employer who watches pennies this closely? Only if the employer offers something special.

That's where I am. I'm wondering what kind of salary, benefits, and working conditions an employer has who starts out treating the candidates like this when both the candidate and the employer should have their best foot forward.

I've suggested she concentrate more locally, and that's a pretty big area with Boston and Hartford included, so I'm thinking she should be able to get some interview and a job doing that.

Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49076 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/5/2013 6:57 PM
DD has been pursued by a company down in Atlanta that has been telling her they don't interview til Feb, and she should call to schedule an interview. So she just called them, and they want her to go down there for the interview, but they will not reimburse travel expenses.

Then I wonder what "has been pursued" really means. Doesn't sound like a very motivated pursuit on the company's part. So it comes down to how motivated your DD is to pursue this opportunity. Deciding factors include: What does this company offer that others (in your area) don't? And/or, how interested is your DD in Atlanta?

Probably my DD's experience was different enough that it doesn't apply, but FWIW here it is anyway:

- Graduated May 2005, moved back home (D.C.area).
- In June, sent resumes to L.A. (California) companies she was interested in, giving dates in July when she'd be in L.A. and available for in-person interviews, and welcoming phone interviews in the meantime.
- In July, traveled to L.A., stayed with friends, had 3 interviews, found an apartment, got and accepted an offer from her 1st choice company.
- Returned here for about a month before moving to L.A.

So, she did cover her own travel expenses. Or rather, DH & I did, as a graduation present. However, she'd already decided she wanted to move, and to focus her job search in the target area.

Best of luck to your DD!

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49077 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/5/2013 7:44 PM
Recommendations: 3
It depends on the nature of the job and the competition by candidates to get the placement. If there are not a lot of candidates, then you might expect the company to pony up for someone they really want. But if there are lots of positions and lots of candidates, it is unrealistic to expect them to fund an interview. Just because they contacted a candidate about an opportunity doesn't mean that they will spare no expense to get them.

Fuskie
Who has heard that some companies will send out an interviewer to various campuses as a cost effective method of attracting top talent, kind of how the kids were recruited into college in the first place...

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49078 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/5/2013 9:43 PM
Yep, my experience is the best entry level candidates are hired from on campus interviews. Open market gets you the second tier candidates who did not qualify for the top jobs and the ones who took time off after graduation for an extended visit to Europe or the beach, etc.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49080 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/6/2013 2:26 PM
I've seen lots of job postings where companies write "relocation expenses not offered" and "local candidates only". Usually the "local candidates only" mean if you're in town they'll interview you, otherwise they're not paying to have you travel to interview with them.

For entry-level and just-a-few-years out of college, it's not out of the ordinary for a company Not to pick up expenses for a candidate to interview with them. If Atlanta is a place your daughter would like to relocate to, then she should pick a time to go out there, and let potential employers know "I'll be in your area X-time-period and will be available for interviews". If she was only interested in Atlanta if this company is interested in her - than it sounds like the interest on the company's part is not strong enough to consider your daughter at this time.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49087 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/9/2013 11:10 AM
Recommendations: 2
Hi,
Just asked DH this question. He worked for JPMorgan in Manhattan.
They do not pay travel expenses.
I was shocked to hear this. He said they did it in the old days but no longer.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49088 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/14/2013 2:10 PM
Just asked DH this question. He worked for JPMorgan in Manhattan.
They do not pay travel expenses.
I was shocked to hear this. He said they did it in the old days but no longer.

When we hired my boss summer before last, we did not pay any travel expenses. After several phone interviews, we settled on bringing him and one other person to campus. The other person came in from FL and footed his own bill. My boss drove in from about an hour away. There was a time when a plane ticket would have been a given, but no longer for us either.

LWW

Author: TheEvilDrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49092 of 49438
Subject: Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date: 2/15/2013 9:44 PM
When we hired my boss summer before last, we did not pay any travel expenses. After several phone interviews, we settled on bringing him and one other person to campus. The other person came in from FL and footed his own bill. My boss drove in from about an hour away. There was a time when a plane ticket would have been a given, but no longer for us either.

And as another point of anecdata:

About four years ago when I was looking to change jobs, I had several interviews that were out of state and on the weekend. Not only did they fly me to the interview and put me up in a hotel, but they also provided a ticket for my then-two-year-old son and reimbursed meals for the two of us. These were technician positions; it's not like I was interviewing for a CEO spot.

I think the main difference is how badly they want to see you in person. I was only able to fly up on the weekend so they assembled teams of people to meet with me on the weekend. I could not leave my son behind so they provided a ticket for him. My skill set is great but not extraordinary (I mean, I can do the job but I'm not curing cancer, ya know?) but the companies were willing to work with me to accommodate these needs which I appreciated very much.

In the current economic climate however, a lot of perks are going by the wayside as companies tighten belts. I would second the recommendation to have her advertise when she will be in a particular area if she already knows she'd like to move there. Other than that, I think the advice to focus locally is a great one. Don't forget the federal government at usajobs.gov; there are a lot of transition jobs especially for recent college grads.

Minxie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement