UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Retired2RV Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 10:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!!

I have noticed that many of you don't like it when someone tell you to do this.

My question is: Can anyone tell me how you can achieve a good credit rating and not do this?

Dale
Print the post Back To Top
Author: johnmoni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19980 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 10:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
"Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!!
My question is: Can anyone tell me how you can achieve a good credit rating and not do this?"

Dale,
I have been criticized out here for advocating exactly what you state. I strongly believe that the idea of establishling "good credit" is a myth propagated by CC and finance companies to generate business for themselves. When I applied for my mortgage, my credit rating reflected the fact that I had very little consumer debt, and what I did have was paid on-time, in full, monthly. The mortgage was approved in about one week, no problem; as opposed to the horror stories I've heard of people with loans and CC debt who spend months trying to get a loan approval. So, I stand by my view, which I believe is yours as well: pay your bills on-time, in full, and you will have a good credit rating automatically. Better yet, pay for as much as you can in cash (don't buy what you can't afford to pay for in cash), and you don't need to worry about a credit rating. Because, your BEST credit is your own cash. Thanks for a thought provoking question,
johnmoni

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19981 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 0
Dale and johnmoni,
I recommended both of your posts. You guys have tons of great advice, and always get me thinking. I don't have any more credit card debt, just student and car loans, but I spend a lot of time on this board because of people like you.

d

Author: johnmoni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19982 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 10:52 AM
Diana,
Thank you - my advice/opinion is nothing more than a simple common sense perspective that everyone can easily implement. The key is to not fall prey to the sharks and charlatans who are trying to take your money - they need you, you don't need them. Once you take control of your money and finances, the planning and execution becomes real easy. Obviously you have done that - congratulations!!!
johnmoni

Author: jmstover Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20001 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 12:32 PM
The reason some people don't like to hear this is because it is very unhelpful and it makes the other people feel as if they're stupid. I doubt there is a soul on this board that doesn't realize that paying bills promptly is good business; however, that is not advice they are looking for.

What if I told you that you should've bought a Prevost for the maximum comfort and you felt I was criticizing your decision to buy whatever RV you have. You would feel I was being unhelpful. That's how I perceive others as feeling when you tell them what they already know.

John

Author: johnnstace Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20006 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 12:46 PM
The mortgage was approved in about
one week, no problem; as opposed to the horror stories I've heard of people with loans and CC debt who spend months trying to get a
loan approval. So, I stand by my view, which I believe is yours as well: pay your bills on-time, in full, and you will have a good credit rating
automatically

While you have little debt and got your approved in one week. I have quite a bit of debt but I have never missed a payment and have gone through a lot of debt. My Mortgage was approved in one day.
It is not what you have it is how you handle it.

john

Author: johnmoni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20009 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 12:54 PM
"It is not what you have it is how you handle it."

Exactly my point - you state that you have "gone through" alot of debt, and never missed a payment. That tells me you have little real debt and are an on-time payer, and reap the benefits of that lifestyle - by default you have a good credit rating. The CC companies try to teach young people that you need to incur debt to have good credit. Your example and mine clearly illustrate that it just isn't true. Thanks for your alternate perspective.
johnmoni

Author: TwinFather One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20021 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 2:27 PM
Recommendations: 6
johnmoni,

These are great priciples. Everyone should live by them. Unfortunately, many have not. Many have never been to this board either until they are already in trouble.

All of us need to be sensitive to this when we attempt to offer "assistance" to those coming to seek help. To the person already underwater, it is little help to have a standard held up that seems unachievaable in the momement.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe I have ever observed you doing that. Although, quite a few have. Often, it appears to the person seeking assistance as judgment. Reading between the lines, the person in trouble, gets the message that "You are getting exactly what you deserve; there is no way out. In fact, they should come and take your home, your childeren, and you should live on rations of beans and rice for the rest of your life!"

I guess what I am really taking exeception to what I perceive as the spirit behind the original post that initiated this thread. It just seems yet another judgement on those in trouble as somehow defective or morally reprobate. I say this from the position of someone who is in trouble now.

However, I do know that I will dig out eventually. I am learning to be a Fool. Yet, I pray that I will be able to look back, understand where I came from, and provide others like me a hand up. I do think I will be a better person having come through this.

TwinFather

Author: tadi Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20023 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 2:53 PM
Recommendations: 1
TwinFather,
I have been there myself and I certainly do not want to kick anyone while they're down because it is a particularly frustrating time in anybody's life. I agree that is the last thing you need when you are already feeling stupid, depressed and downright miserable about your financial situation. At the same time, I don't think its appropriate for anyone to expect to get out of the situation with no sacrifices and without paying the consequences to their credit report.

It's my understanding that this board is here to support the person who is willing to do what it takes and wants honest advice about how to make it work or what they will face if they do not take corrective action. Also it is a place for them to vent their frustration and know others have been in their shoes. I stayed here after my first "lurk" because I felt these people knew where I had been and where I want to go, and might be able to provide some support and suggestions along the way. I don't think this board is a good place to get advice about how to run up debt then get off scotch free so it can be run right back up again. That isn't reality and the best place for that kind of advice is probably a bankruptcy lawyer's office.

I can only speak for myself because I dont know these other posters in real life, but I fully support the person who comes here in financial trouble, regardless of the reason, and who wants real help in reducing expenses, setting a budget, recognizing needs versus wants, dealing with specific credit problems and addressing their debt. I think that is the spirit of the board and most of the posts here.

Author: johnmoni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20025 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 3:01 PM
"I guess what I am really taking exeception to what I perceive as the spirit behind the original post that initiated this thread. It just seems yet another judgement on those in trouble as somehow defective or morally reprobate."

I can't speak for Dale's intentions in his original post. But I can tell you that my response isn't intended to be mean-spirited or judgemental. I understand the challenges and difficulties associated with debt elimination. However, my ire is directed at the CC companies who are trying to convince us to get into debt up to our "you-know-what" to achieve some arbitrary "good credit" guideline. That point isn't directed in a negative sense at the debtors - they don't need me or anyone else to remind them. It is directed to try and change that "you can't live without debt" mindset. Many people I talk to clearly don't understand that they, not the CC companies, control their financial destiny. Someone said to me recently, "I didn't know I could make more than the minimum payment on my CC."

So, I'm only trying to reinforce the point that you don't need them, they need you. If it comes across strong or harsh, I'm sorry. However, I believe that is exactly the attitude one needs in dealing with the CC thieves. Everyone out here has the smarts and will to make a better financial life for themselves (that's why they are here.) They certainly don't need any "help" from the CC companies to get there. Thanks for your reply - I respect your opinion,
johnmoni

Author: Retired2RV Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20027 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 3:10 PM
The reason some people don't like to hear this is because it is very unhelpful and it makes the other people feel as if they're stupid. I doubt there is a soul on this board that doesn't realize that paying bills promptly is good business; however, that is not advice they are looking for.

What if I told you that you should've bought a Prevost for the maximum comfort and you felt I was criticizing your decision to buy whatever RV you have. You would feel I was being unhelpful. That's how I perceive others as feeling when you tell them what they already know.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Hi! John

I would not think that you were criticizing me at all. I would value your opinion and when it comes time to replace my RV I would check into Prevost brand before I made my purchase. That is how I learn which one is best.

People only respond when you hit close to home. If they feel uneasy about being told something, they should listen carefully because it is their conscience telling them that they are not living right.

One of my favorite quotes is "Your conscience is the measure of the honesty of your selfishness. Listen to it carefully."

Most of the people who have gotten into Credit Card trouble done so because they didn't listen to that little voice inside them. If they feel stupid, it is self judgment. If they change there ways then they will no longer feel that way.

Sometimes people look for advice that will make them feel better rather than the advice that is best for them. Anyone who reads "Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!!" and feels bad is in big trouble in more than one way. This board has become one that is mostly about people who are out of control in their lives. Credit Cards are neither good or bad, it is what we do with them that makes them that way. Life is the same way. It is the choices we make that makes it good or bad. If they feel bad, they are telling themselves that it's time to make some better choices in how they live their lives. I hope they listen. Sadly most don't.

Good Luck.

Dale

Author: EricEdelman Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20030 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 3:30 PM
Aside from the fact that I get roasted every time I mention this, it's right. Not just financially right, but morally right.
Your other choice is not to pay. At which point you'll get to use up your time dodging creditors, screening your calls, and researching ways to get out of your problems. Personally, I'd rather spend my time researching companies to add to my portfolio.
It took me over an hour to clear up a $93 debt that I didn't pay on time. That's an hour out of my life I'll never get back, and I'm sure I could have found a better use for it.

Eric

My question is: Can anyone tell me how you can achieve a good credit rating and not do this?

Author: LeeSc Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20039 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 4:05 PM
Recommendations: 9
<<Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!!

My question is: Can anyone tell me how you can achieve a good credit rating and not do this?>>
-----------------------------------------------------
WARNING: Long post!

You can't achieve a good credit rating without paying your bills, and doing it on time. You'll get no argument from me there. You, Eric, and johnmoni are absolutely correct on that account.

What I object to is giving someone that kind of answer when they clearly state that they have messed up, gotten into trouble and are now trying to fix the mess they've created. How is "Pay your bills and do it on time" going to help them in any way?? It's not!

We've all made mistakes in our lives, and if you haven't you're just very young, and/or very lucky! As I've stated before, there are many ways that people get into financial difficulty which are not their fault: catastrophic illness, unanticipated loss of job (maybe a business closes unexpectedly, or burns down), a spouse walks out and empties the checking and savings account, etc.

About 20 years ago, I experienced a circumstance that was not of my doing, but caused a lot of financial headaches. The bank which held the mortgage on my first home was closed by the FDIC because of mismanagement. My mortgage was a 3 year balloon that came due 15 days after the FDIC stepped in. The financial institute which purchased the assets of the bank did NOT purchase my loan, so the FDIC demanded the balance. This was in the early 80's when interest rates were extremely high, and real estate values depressed. To make a long story short, I ended up losing the house to the FDIC, despite making an offer to settle for what another bank was willing to loan me on the house, which was 80% of the balance that I owed. The FDIC ended up selling the property 18 months later for about 3 cents on the dollar.

Was this situation my fault? Partially, because I essentially paid more than the house was worth. The black mark from the foreclosure followed me for 7 years. Eventually, I've gotten things back in order and I'm in good shape credit-wise. Now I'm in the process of eliminating debt accumulated when I went back school to finish my degree. I'm doing that by PAYING ON TIME, and paying more than the minimum balances.

I'm also making the progress I'm making because of good people on this board, including yourself, who have given me good advice and effective strategies. If everyone who approached the participants on this board for advice received the kind of response that effectively says, "Just pay your bills, and do it on time," if would stifle the kind of discussion and exchange of ideas that makes this board so popular.

Climbing off my soapbox,
Lee

Author: djackn Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20059 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 8:12 PM
There is another reason to "Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!!" It is the right thing to do.
--Jack

Author: Retired2RV Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20062 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/17/1999 8:43 PM
Hi! LeeSc

re: your post No.20039

I have already answered your post in my post No.20027

Dale

Author: Retired2RV Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20080 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/18/1999 12:52 AM
johnmoni,

These are great priciples. Everyone should live by them. Unfortunately, many have not. Many have never been to this board either until they are already in trouble.

All of us need to be sensitive to this when we attempt to offer "assistance" to those coming to seek help. To the person already underwater, it is little help to have a standard held up that seems unachievaable in the momement.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe I have ever observed you doing that. Although, quite a few have. Often, it appears to the person seeking assistance as judgment. Reading between the lines, the person in trouble, gets the message that "You are getting exactly what you deserve; there is no way out. In fact, they should come and take your home, your childeren, and you should live on rations of beans and rice for the rest of your life!"

I guess what I am really taking exeception to what I perceive as the spirit behind the original post that initiated this thread. It just seems yet another judgement on those in trouble as somehow defective or morally reprobate. I say this from the position of someone who is in trouble now.

However, I do know that I will dig out eventually. I am learning to be a Fool. Yet, I pray that I will be able to look back, understand where I came from, and provide others like me a hand up. I do think I will be a better person having come through this.

TwinFather

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I guess what I am really taking exeception to is twinFather insulting attack on red bean and rice.

It is obvious that he does not know what good soul food is.

Dale

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20091 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/18/1999 10:44 AM
I just want to say that this thread reminded me to dig the cell phone bill out of the bottom of my bag and pay it!

It was, embarassingly, rather late.

So thanks for the reminder!

-Megan

Author: SirNeo Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20191 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/18/1999 10:38 PM
Recommendations: 4

You forgot to tell people to take showers regularly too.

You are missing the point completely. The issue is what happens when you can't pay your bills and need to resolve the situation.

Please, lets have at least a little bit of understanding that your situation may not be the same as anothers and that what they are experiencing just might possibly be a valid experience.

This self rightous garbage is counter productive and only shows a lack of understanding of the reality for many people.

In my case, I'm having to deal with this garbage and I NEVER PAID MY BILLS LATE. Someone wrote checks after stealing my wallet and when those checks were returned (because they were forged) the people who took the checks in the first place turned them over to collections.

Gee, I bet you never thought of that situation, did you?

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20197 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/18/1999 11:26 PM
<<<<In my case, I'm having to deal with this garbage and I NEVER PAID MY BILLS LATE. Someone wrote checks after stealing my wallet and when those checks were returned (because they were forged) the people who took the checks in the first place turned them over to collections.>>>>

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Hope you are getting them righted. On the other hand, your bank should never have cashed those checks and I suspect that you owe no debt to the payees because you did write (or authorize) the checks. I beleive that your situation is different than that of persons who did in fact incur the debt --- but not any less of a PITA.

Wishing you well. Regards, JAFO

Author: TwinFather One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20202 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/18/1999 11:44 PM
Sorry no insult meant to red beans and rice. I actually like them, just wouldn't want to eat them everyday.

And, Dale, despite any differences I have have with you. I really do appeciate your sense of humor.

TwinFather

Author: Retired2RV Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20210 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/19/1999 1:24 AM
Recommendations: 2
You forgot to tell people to take showers regularly too.

You are missing the point completely. The issue is what happens when you can't pay your bills and need to resolve the situation.

The issue is what happens when you put at least 10% of your income in savings every pay check for all your life. You are able to pay your bills on time and if some little thing like you discribed comes up it does not hurt your Credit Report. That is the point. It is obious that you did not do this thus you caused your own problem.

Please, lets have at least a little bit of understanding that your situation may not be the same as anothers and that what they are experiencing just might possibly be a valid experience.

I understand that my taking an interest in my money years ago made me rich! And I understand that your irresponsible handling of your money got you in trouble. To say that being irresponsible is valid is stupid. People come to this message board to learn how to become responsible with their money. Not to be "Poor Babied".

This self rightous garbage is counter productive and only shows a lack of understanding of the reality for many people.

There is nothing self righteous about paying your bills on time it is virtuous. Most people come to this board to find a new reality and a new way to live better by becoming able to pay their bills on time. I wonder why you are here? Is it to learn to become better with your finances or just to bitch about others.

In my case, I'm having to deal with this garbage and I NEVER PAID MY BILLS LATE. Someone wrote checks after stealing my wallet and when those checks were returned (because they were forged) the people who took the checks in the first place turned them over to collections.

If you had reported the theft to your bank and the police then when a check came in the police would have investigated it as a fraud and they would not have gone to collection. If you didn't do this it was irresponsible on your part. I used to be a police officer and have worked cases like this. My read of your statement is that it less than truthful. The real world doesn't work that way.

No. But it is obvious that you did. ;)

I will leave it to each persons judgment as to who's advice they take. Someone who became rich and retired at the age of 38 or someone who can't even keep track of his wallet.

Going there! Doing it!!!

Retired2RV............I was born at night, But it was not last night! ;)

Author: Retired2RV Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20215 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/19/1999 2:56 AM

If you had reported the theft to your bank and the police then when a check came in the police would have investigated it as a fraud and they would not have gone to collection. If you didn't do this it was irresponsible on your part. I used to be a police officer and have worked cases like this. My read of your statement is that it less than truthful. The real world doesn't work that way.

No. But it is obvious that you did. ;-)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

In my case, I'm having to deal with this garbage and I NEVER PAID MY BILLS LATE.

Read:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1040004002774000

My read of your statement is that it less than truthful. The real world doesn't work that way.

No. But it is obvious that you did. ;-)

What can I say? ;-(

Retired2RV

Author: SirNeo Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20272 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/19/1999 3:36 PM
Recommendations: 2
On the other hand, your bank should never have cashed those checks and I suspect that you owe no debt to the payees because you did write (or authorize) the checks.

The bank DIDN'T cash the checks. They returned them because they were stolen.

This hasn't stopped unethical merchants (they were written mostly to grocery stores) and unethical debt collectors from trashing my credit rating.

Do you think for a second that debt collectors care to see a police report? Do you think they care about legality? They don't. They make used car salesmen look trustworthy.

%90 of the people on this board dealing with credit problems are dealing with illegal, unethical or erronous information that they have to fight. Msot credit reports have wrong information on them and often a lot of wrong information on them.

All this self rightous "pay your bills on time" stuff is judgemental, and detrimental to helping people deal with a situation where they are the victims of an industry that does not care about the law and does not have to answer to it very often.

Whether someone incurred the debt and paid their bills on time or not (ever hear of First USA saying bills are paid late when they weren't? Gee.) they can still be a victim.

Author: SirNeo Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20274 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/19/1999 3:45 PM

Typical pig- unable to keep two things in his head at once.

Yes, I did get behind.

Yes I was the victim of identity theft.

Two different cases and they happened in different years.

You ever wonder why people hate cops? They don't care about the law, they just care about power- an example is your talking about how rich you are, and not giving a bit of care about the fact that the law was broken here.

Your wealth (if you really have it) does not justify someone doing fraud and getting away with it. Nor does it justify debt collectors ignoring the fact that hte debt is invalid.

And nothing you have said proves anything- you're just spouting attitude. Read the law, for a change.

Author: johnmoni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20279 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/19/1999 3:55 PM
"All this self rightous "pay your bills on time" stuff is judgemental, and detrimental to helping people deal with a situation where they are the victims of an industry that does not care about the law and does not have to answer to it very often."

Wow - this is starting to get to be a pretty nasty discussion. That's too bad because the true intent of the original post has been lost. A "pay your bills on time" strategy has nothing to do with self-rightiousness; it has everything to do with a strategy for managing finances. Some people choose to follow that path, others do not. It is hard for me to belive how anyone wouldn't want to choose that path, but I guess that's what makes this world go round - its all about choice. After being chastized for my harsh and judgemental responses, I only wish that if someone is afraid of the answer they'll get out here, maybe they should reconsider asking the question. That's what has seemed to happen on this string.

Have a great weekend everyone - weather is great here today in NJ, and I plan on enjoying it.
johnmoni

Author: Dawn77 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20292 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/19/1999 4:14 PM
"I only wish that if someone is afraid of the answer they'll get out here, maybe they should reconsider asking the
question. That's what has seemed to happen on this string."
The thing is, John, until around Labor Day or so, people who posted to this board could write what they wished, WITHOUT being trashed on their very first post, having to endure self-satisfied moralizing, or being kicked in the behind "for their own good". Each of us needs to ask him or herself if their contributions have truly made this board a better place than it was before we showed up. Check out a couple of posts from last spring, say around 10177 or 13865 and you'll see what I mean.
Dawn

Author: johnmoni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20295 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/19/1999 4:19 PM
"The thing is, John, until around Labor Day or so, people who posted to this board could write what they wished, WITHOUT being trashed on their very first post, having to endure self-satisfied moralizing, or being kicked in the behind "for their own good".

Dawn,
I respect your view very much - but these are still very tough problems that require difficult choices and lifestyle changes to solve. I've never trashed anyone - the point is you can't pussyfoot around with the problem - if we're collectively serious about solving them, they need immediate, and sometimes unpleasant, corrective action. The same way I don't take any of this criticism personally, the posters can't either. That's what this exchange is all about, and sometimes the solutions/answers aren't very fun to discuss.
johnmoni

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20322 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/19/1999 6:19 PM
<<<This hasn't stopped unethical merchants (they were written mostly to grocery stores) and unethical debt collectors from trashing my credit rating.

Whether someone incurred the debt and paid their bills on time or not (ever hear of First USA saying bills are paid late when they weren't? Gee.) they can still be a victim.>>>

I agree with the second paragraph. You argument is also with the CRA, they are obligated to verify the debt. The FDCPA also contains remedies - hit them in their pocket books. Report them to the FTC and your state attorney general. Find a litigator to take the claim on contingency.

Regards, JAFO

Author: solesister Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20339 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/19/1999 10:58 PM
Dale, you're harsh but fair: an appropriate attitude to have @ a board that deals w/debt elimination.

What I got out of your inital post was not that you meant to be judgmental, but that sometimes the best advice is also the simplest.

Author: daisy24 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20384 of 308881
Subject: Re: Pay Your Bills and Do it on Time!!!! Date: 11/21/1999 11:34 PM
That's too bad because the true intent of the original post has been lost. A "pay your bills on time" strategy has nothing to do with self-rightiousness; it has everything to do with a strategy for managing finances.

I think the poster wanting help in settling with a creditor or working it out with a creditor and yet, people are telling him/her to pay their bills on time.
HOW HELPFUL! I mean someone comes here, for instance to say they've been in a car accident and off work and having a hard time with bills, hmmm...CC's cos'. don't care and the ADVICE? Pay your bills on time.
Wow. I'm blown away by the intelligence.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement