UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Dice710 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75890  
Subject: Re: excess roth contribution Date: 4/10/2001 11:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
paying $72 for a year or two may be more sensible than withdrawing the excess.
At this time while the market is down and the location of your investment also is probably down. Therefore, I would agree with you under ONE condition: I am not sure myself about the IRS and the penalty, but if all it is is $72, I would do that. One year I realized that I had gone over my $2,000 limit, but only by $50 and quickly just had that $50 removed from that year's Roth and applied to the following year.
Familiar with the "Rule of 72"? If not, it's simple and good to know.
Divide 72 by the rate of return and it will tell you how long it will take for your money to double. Of course, on mutuals or stocks, we don't get a constant return and sometimes a decrease. But, just use a number that you would consider your "average" return from your investment. 12% = 6 yrs.; 18% = 4 yrs.; etc. Over a period of 24 yrs, if you invest $1000 at 12%, in 6yrs. = $2000, 12 = $4000, 18 = $8000 and 24 = $16,000. Many think that if they get 18% their return, it will only be 1 1/2 that of 12%. However look at the following. 4yrs. = $2000, 8 = $8000, 12 = $16,000, 16 = $32,000, 20 = $64000, and 24 = $128,000!!! What a Dif.!!
Have a good day. So long as there's no prob. with the IRS, you're thinking just as I would. Wait 'til the market goes back up.
John Hunt
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement