UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: Paying some forward Date: 3/11/2014 9:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So, I am not an expert on how to make a zillion bucks -- obviously, since I still have a day job and not as a CEO of some mega corporation either. But I can think my way through numbers pretty well, and I am not a sucker for quick fixes. I've been thinking about finding a way to give something back, and one way that might work is to give some help to people who are struggling financially. Chatting on a message board gives some help, but I would like to do something a little more local that might involve actually, you know, shaking someone's hand.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look to help out some?

ThyPeace, lives in the MD suburbs of DC.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308030 of 308519
Subject: Re: Paying some forward Date: 3/11/2014 10:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Anyone have any suggestions on where to look to help out some?

ThyPeace, lives in the MD suburbs of DC.

I googled

financial literacy volunteer opportunities dc

and here's an example of a link that I got to after a couple of clicks: http://www.whfdc.org/content.asp?pl=68&sl=76&content...

You might also try senior centers or women's shelters, or if there's a Habitat for Humanity in your area, they run financial education classes for people who want to become homeowners.

Good luck in finding hands to shake!

AJ

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308031 of 308519
Subject: Re: Paying some forward Date: 3/11/2014 10:25 PM
Our local food bank does a lot of other things, including tutoring services and stuff.

Maybe check into something like that?

Ishtar

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308032 of 308519
Subject: Re: Paying some forward Date: 3/11/2014 11:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
If you check out Kiva.com for micro-lending, you can choose to give to USA-based people or international. I know you wanted local but some of the USA-based people might be local to you.

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308039 of 308519
Subject: Re: Paying some forward Date: 3/13/2014 8:37 PM
Thanks for the Kiva reference -- I actually already do that, and really enjoy it. I have participated in 42 loans in 23 countries, and have been delighted at how well it has worked. None of the loans have defaulted, and in all cased I chose people with businesses that I thought could really help in their local economies -- farms, construction, restaurants, clothing sellers, snack and beverage sellers. I particularly like the farms and construction businesses, but there are not enough of them to fund only those, so I have looked for other areas to loan to as well.

I should put some more money in -- mostly I just re-loan what's been paid back.

ThyPeace, would love to do p2p lending in the US but apparently MD doesn't allow it.

Author: Barry122 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308060 of 308519
Subject: Re: Paying some forward Date: 3/29/2014 5:47 AM
Most of these are good suggestions. You may also want to look locally, I have helped people who were struggling with their finances before. There is something very rewarding about helping someone get back on budget, especially if you know that they did not previously have those skills (or were even ever thought those skills)

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308278 of 308519
Subject: Re: Paying some forward Date: 6/19/2014 9:48 PM
<<So, I am not an expert on how to make a zillion bucks -- obviously, since I still have a day job and not as a CEO of some mega corporation either. But I can think my way through numbers pretty well, and I am not a sucker for quick fixes. I've been thinking about finding a way to give something back, and one way that might work is to give some help to people who are struggling financially. Chatting on a message board gives some help, but I would like to do something a little more local that might involve actually, you know, shaking someone's hand.
>>

Ummm. I would suppose that face to face contact with financially desperate people is going to involve them begging you for money, one way or another.

Personally, I prefer to stay AWAY from desperate people. They can be dangerous, and just contact with them can tend to blight your life.

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement