Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been working in Europe for nearly 2 years. I am retired Army officer. I moved to Milwaukee after retiring in Europe, but only to take the time necessary to deal with family issues. I accepted the job with a US company, working in Europe, in May 99. My wife remained in Milwaukee due to some medical issues. I paid Wisconsin state tax for tax year 99, but changed my home of record back to Florida in Jan 00. Apparently the change did not take until the end of Jan 00, so my federal W2 form shows wages (taxable by the state???)of the equivalent to one month of my retired pay, plus one month of pay from my current job (but it does not indicate an amount of state taxes paid). And my wife works a part time job in Milwaukee. She will join me, once the medical situation permits.

My questions: First, do I have to file a Wisconsin tax return? (In 99 I claimed a tax refund in Wisconsin due to the fact that I had only been in the State 4 months of 99, and did not intend to return, and was only there to deal with the family issues to start with). Second: Does my wife have to fill out a state tax return?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.