UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 665  
Subject: Re: A Question Date: 3/18/2002 9:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
payments come off? Will they stay on there until I close the account? The report doesn't say when the late payments were made. I don't really wanna close the account, for two reasons: 1) It's the first CC I ever received...had it for 10 years now...and I understand that's pretty important...older accounts have more value than new ones. And 2) My current ratio of balances to available credit is too high (the report told me so), and closing this account would eliminate about $1000 worth of available credit, making that ratio even worse. So is there any hope of making this account pristine again?

Just to clarify a bit more than the other responses: Closing the account has no effect on the late payment mark - only time (7 years) will "remove" that. If you don't know when the late payments were made, then contact Sears and they should be able to tell you. Do note tho, that if they are older, and you try to verify the date, they may no longer have that information. If they can't verify the dates (i.e. old information that they no longer deem important enough to maintain), then they have to remove the mark. I had it happen to me by accident (there was a late payment that I couldn't remember when it was - even tho I remember that I *did* make a late payment - the card holder couldn't verify the date, and because they didn't have a record of the late payment, they had to remove it...)

There doesn't seem to be any benefit at this time for you to close it...

Jennifer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement