UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63069  
Subject: PBS Newshour on Seattle $15/hr min wage Date: 5/1/2014 3:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Interesting report. Guy who runs a James Beard Award restaurant (and already pays his wait staff $15/hr minimum before tips) says a waiter at a "high-end house can make $70,000 to $80,000/yr.

video at link:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/#101413

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57166 of 63069
Subject: Re: PBS Newshour on Seattle $15/hr min wage Date: 5/1/2014 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
nteresting report. Guy who runs a James Beard Award restaurant (and already pays his wait staff $15/hr minimum before tips) says a waiter at a "high-end house can make $70,000 to $80,000/yr.

Very true. Accordingly, there's a lot of competition for those jobs. As such, your average, everyday Denny's waiter/waitress probably won't get far in the interview. When people are paying $50 a plate or more, plus drinks, they expect an extremely good experience.

The great waitstaff are usually overseen visually, so that what someone's misses at one table is quickly spotted by another. It's a very difficult job, and the job description includes far more than your average lower-end restaurant would require.

For a light-hearted example, I off our bowling league ;)

One new woman scoots around the entire lanes and dutifully delivers drinks and food, and gets to your glass/bottle before it's empty. She can handle 100 people without missing a step. Personable, smart, fantastic memory, she makes the tips big time. When the other two waitresses are on instead, most of us just get our own.

I estimate the waitress phenom brings in around $400 - $500 during a 2 to 2 and a half hour stretch. She know how to sell, market, and deliver.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57176 of 63069
Subject: Re: PBS Newshour on Seattle $15/hr min wage Date: 5/1/2014 6:11 PM
That's an excellent report, presenting the complications of a sharply increased minimum wage.

The most amusing thing for me to see though, are all the nonprofit groups that have lined up to say that a $15/hour minimum wage is a great idea---- but not for THEM.

Flocks of liberal noprofit groups are lined up seeking exemptions from a $15/hour minimum wage.

I'd be further amused to find out the reactions of moms who are expected to pay their babysitters $15/hour too.

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement