UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10535  
Subject: PC home theater Date: 1/18/2013 10:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, not exactly. But sort of.

My PC has a TV card. I have had the cable box in the study connected to it for a long time now (even on my old computer, which had a more primitive setup). Windows Media Center allows me to use my PC as a DVR. It's really nice.

A while back 1poorlady bought me a nice 24" flat panel monitor. It is really nice.

But for a long time I have had 2.0 speakers. And just "stock" ones at that. I'm sure you can guess what's coming...

I recently bought 2.1 JBL speakers. They are sweet! No match for the actual HT in the great room, of course. But soooooooo much better than the basic Sony speakers that came with my (now ancient) Vaio.

I got these: http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Creature-III/JBL%2...

The sub in our main HT is a JBL also, and these seemed pretty good. So I took a chance. The sound is much richer than my previous PC speakers, with a much fuller bass (as one would expect with the addition of a sub). The L/R speakers are very small, almost unnoticeable. The sub (which also controls everything...it's where all the wiring goes) I placed behind the monitor, so it is taking up no desk space (at least none that I was able to use before anyway).

I almost wish it came with a microphone and I could run a YPAO routine, but that's probably a bit overboard. :-)

The only thing I don't like is the volume control. It's a capacitive touch spot, not a knob or slider. It's almost impossible to "tweak" it...the response isn't that fine, and sometimes it doesn't seem to realize I'm touching it (and when it does, the volume change is large and fast). But it's minor since I just need to set a reasonable level, and then I can control more precisely within whatever app I'm running on the computer (WMC for TV, YouTube vids all have controls, my VLC for movies, etc).

1poorguy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10148 of 10535
Subject: Re: PC home theater Date: 1/18/2013 1:50 PM
Well, all Macs here, but for the desktop, MacPro, I've had for quite a while now a harmon-karden/Apple speaker set...

http://www.harmankardon.com/en-us/products/pages/productdeta...

I have another setup, on the old CRT TV it buzzed, but now I want to try it with the new 40" Samsung.. since I already have them, I am torn by what I just put on the 46: Samsung, the Yamaha AST-1010.. But I don't have the Yamaha sub in here, so the Soundsticks might work well... End up with two big jellyfish in here! I have a partial 3rd set, but I'm missing it's satellites... but the price was right..

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10150 of 10535
Subject: Re: PC home theater Date: 1/18/2013 2:47 PM
1poorguy:

The new LG 750 has a means to connect it to the house wi-fi but I haven’t done that yet partially because there’s no means to record off line: I would need, as you have, a computer with a TV card (wi-fi?) and a hard drive for storage.

We upgraded our computers recently so I have several spares and I could use one (they’re about four years old) for the upstairs home theater.

If I were to do this do you have any recommendations on what to get to make it viable?

Nice JBL speakers!

MichaelR

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10152 of 10535
Subject: Re: PC home theater Date: 1/18/2013 4:17 PM
My previous PC was a Sony RX590G. It was state of the art when I got it. RDRAM, P4 processor, top-of-the-line DVD burner, etc. What was unique is that it was designed to be a video studio. You could plug in a camcorder, it would detect it and start software to download the content. And then it had the basic versions of software to process it into a DVD. It also had a TV capture card in it. You could run either coax or RCA from the cable box, and it had an early form of DVR (using software called "GigaPocket"). It was a little clunky, but it worked. Better than just about anything else at the time.

When I finally decided to upgrade** I went looking for a box with the same capabilities. I ended up with an HP. It also has the TV card allowing me to plug in my satellite box, and WMC (which appears to be standard on Windows7) has all the functionality of a DVR (and more...a lot more).

No, the TV card is not wi-fi. It simply allows the signal from the box to be decoded and the information displayed (just like your TV).

If you wanted to convert an older box to become a DVR there are a few ways to do it. If one of those boxes has Win7 that would be my first choice because WMC is very good for this purpose. Win XP didn't have any equivalent. You would need to get a TV tuner card (compatible with whatever bus is in the PC). The only one I can think of by name is Hauppauge. But your local electronics store (where people who build PCs from scratch would go) likely has a selection. It should include an infrared emitter so you can control the cable box from the computer. I believe it also needs hardware encoding so that it isn't dumping all the signal processing work onto the main CPU (could result in choppy playback).

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_hvr_internal.ht...

(They also have external modules, but I prefer internal...got enough stuff hanging around my desk already.)

And near as I can tell they all want WMC on the computer. Without WMC (e.g. if you had XP), you would need to have software to talk to the Hauppauge card and give you the DVR function.

It's been a while, but I could try to look again if you need me to. Once upon a time I had the idea of doing this and found various websites that detailed how to make my own DVR from scratch (well, "scratch" including a computer with hard drive). I ended up going the route I did because the cost wasn't much more to buy it "already done". That may not be the case now.

There are also "hacks" out there to convert your XBOX to a DVR. That looked interesting, but I feared having a game console as I know myself well enough to know I would never get any sleep, except maybe in the office. Which would be bad.

1poorguy

**Had to...couldn't upgrade RAM, and some software like Photoshop required more RAM than I had.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement