Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BuyLower Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: PDA Chess Apps Date: 1/14/2003 6:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
If you are interested in chess and have a PDA, don't bother buying a standalone portable chess computer. Just use your PDA! I have 3 apps that I have downloaded but haven't bought the full version of any yet. I'll give the names and my brief review of the app as I see it so far (all are for the Palm OS).

Double Chess - The first app, I downloaded the demo version, opened it up, played all the games I could on the demo version (not very many)and haven't used it since. I just couldn't stand the graphics, I'd like the knight to halfway resemble a knight and not like some alien offspring. Plus the long loading and closing time were annoying.

PocketChess v. 1.1 - Free to download as well. Graphics were much better. 8 levels of play. 2 different size boards, one full screen and one with last piece played and who is to play. You can either use tapping or drag and drop to move pieces. Even on level 2 the computer is merciless on any of my bad moves and doesn't seem to make any bad moves. Of course it could be just me not being able to think far enough ahead to beat it. One drawback may be if you like timed games, as there is no setting to play such a game. Allows you to take back moves to the beginning of the game. There is a v. 2.0 out but I haven't looked at it.

Chess Tiger - This seems to be the most full featured app I have found so far. Best graphics too :)

Many different levels of play and modes: ie. 8 Trainer levels, set ply depth (up to 40), variable time controls (time per move, game in, 3 levels of time control: X move in Y minutes), or infinte where it just keeps thinking till you get sick of waiting and tell it to "Move you damn machine!"

You can change the engine parameters to play normally or using 3 levels of gambit (normal, aggressive, and suicide).

You can save games and positions and set up positions for analysis. There are also 6 different views. Full board, 3 sizes with icons, 2 small boards with icons or a move list and both have the engine's "thoughts" (real-time ply considerations).

You can take back moves or go back to a move # (great for when you're reading and following different paths then the game actually took and are discussed or not).

Well that's all for now. If anybody has any other apps, I'd like to hear your thoughts on them as well. If you take umbrage with my reviews, feel free to tell me so.

buylower

I didn't see any discussion of chess apps in searching the board, so hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement