Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I never imagined that a peanut butter & jelly sandwich could be made low carb. Is there any junk food that can't be detoxified with a little imagination?

Solution:
1 low carb crepe (simple recipe posted earlier)
1 teaspoon pure peanut butter (no trans fat, sugar etc)
1 teaspoon homemade low carb apple jelly*

*no-sugar-added apple juice or sauce + stevia + gelatin (I made juice from my own garden apples)

Mmmm.... get that junk food fix without the junk.
Print the post Back To Top
I make these with low carb wraps, but prefer taking fresh strawberries, halving and nuking briefly to soften, sprinkle with Truvia. Heavenly.

IP
No. of Recommendations: 0
fresh strawberries, halving and nuking briefly to soften, sprinkle with Truvia. Heavenly.

Great idea - even simpler! Can't wait to try it next (as usual my batch of crepes got gobbled up, no leftovers to experiment with)
No. of Recommendations: 3
I tried your strawberry mash - excellent jam!

I also bought some rhubarb, sliced it up, simmered it with a couple tablespoons water to soften, added some sweetener and gelatin. I think I didn't use enough gelatin, it is still jam-like rather than jelly-like, but that doesn't matter much. Tangy-sweet.

Alongside in my fridge are some blueberries and raspberries, which I put of my homemade Greek yogurt. Luscious.

Then a sinful ganache rich dark chocolate with a cup of full-cream coffee...

Who says low carbing involves sacrifice? Quite the opposite - it opens the door to a raft of great foods that the low-fatters drool jealously for.

Most of these tricks I learned here on this board!
I tried your strawberry mash - excellent jam!

I don't actually mash it. I like the fruit still semi firm and juicy, so that when you bit into it, you get a squirt of juice. Try these fruit wraps with cream cheese rather than peanut butter as well, or my fave...almond butter.

We love rhubarb. I cube it, cook it down in a bit of water until it is silky smooth, add sweetener. Ginger root slices, removed after cooking, makes a nice addition to the mix. It makes a very nice jam without any gelatin, or if you fold whipped cream into it it makes for a wonderful rhubarb fool. And of course as you said all these work well in greek yogurt.

IP
Try these fruit wraps with cream cheese rather than peanut butter as well, or my fave...almond butter.

Great ideas, will try.

We love rhubarb. Ginger root slices, removed after cooking, makes a nice addition to the mix.

Unfortunately my rhubarb is all prepared and in the fridge. But I just micro-diced some fresh ginger root and threw it in to some of the cold rhubarb mash. Fantastic!

Keep the tips coming, I love 'em.
No. of Recommendations: 2
But I just micro-diced some fresh ginger root and threw it in to some of the cold rhubarb mash. Fantastic!

I'm glad you like it. To brag just a bit, my rhubarb-ginger jam was a blue ribbon first place winner at the Philadelphia Harvest Show back when they tasted and judged canned goods. My small batch low sugar jams, where you could actually taste the fruit, were often ribbon winners. They've since stopped the canned portion of the judging however, probably in fear of some novice poisoning them with improperly canned produce.

There is nothing quite like the velvety texture of cooked rhubarb.

IP
I like to put a small splash of balsamic vinegar on top of the sliced/smashed strawberries, along with some sweetener...and let them seep for a while.
Just had one of my fresh strawberry and almond butter wraps. One characteristic that may not have come across is how good these are with the strawberries still warm from nuking. And some may prefer DH's variety, which of course includes a slice of well cooked bacon, though that is often cold.

We are limited only by lack of imagination.

IP
We are limited only by lack of imagination.

This is so true. And carb eaters are also so limited. They cannot imagine a sandwich without bread, a pizza without wheat crust, a roast without potato, a sweet without sugar...

Carbs are actually just cheap filler material, yet people widely to perceive them as prime foods, and pay high prices for them.

It's hard to escape from that mental box.

And the food industry doesn't want us to. They love the astronomical profit margins they make on pastries, bagels, Italian pasta meals, Subway big bread subs, etc.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Carbs are actually just cheap filler material, yet people widely to perceive them as prime foods, and pay high prices for them.

You will never get me to bash a high quality loaf of bread. It is my weakness, and something I used to very much enjoy making. Of course, half of it had to be eaten while still warm from the oven. I can leave sweets behind no problem, but I miss my nice crusty, hearty, chewy breads.

IP
You guys have been making me think of this all week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L39J7jCoVKY

Fuskie
Who hopes it brings a smile to your face...
To brag just a bit, my rhubarb-ginger jam was a blue ribbon first place winner

Any more ideas what to do with ginger? I love the stuff, but the roots usually rot in my fridge because I don't make Asian food often and I have no other ideas for using it.
Any more ideas what to do with ginger? I love the stuff, but the roots usually rot in my fridge because I don't make Asian food often and I have no other ideas for using it.

I confess I have the same problem. You can freeze the ginger root, though it's not nearly as good as fresh. As for ideas, Google it? I typically turn to the internet for inspiration when I have more than I know what to do with.

IP
Google it? I typically turn to the internet for inspiration when I have more than I know what to do with.

I will, but I usually get the best ideas from you... ;-)
I will, but I usually get the best ideas from you... ;-)

Well now I'm blushing.

IP
Any more ideas what to do with ginger?

Ginger 'tea' maybe?

Peel and roughly score a piece of ginger about one and a half to two inches long. Put in the bottom of a mug. Add hot water and steep for a good 5 minutes then discard the root and drink. As well as being a tasty drink like that IMO, it's a great aid to digestion, will settle an upset tum and dispel nausea.

I like it just like that, some people add a squeeze of lemon and/or sweeten to taste.

Rune
And I suspect ginger tea would be fine if made with frozen pieces of root.

IP
Like you I've found the frozen loses a lot of flavor. And I actually enjoy chomping on thin slices or bits within a food dish - it gives a burst of intense flavor surprise - but that seems to wash out in the frozen one.
Candied ginger is almost as good as fresh if you don't mind the bit of carp in the preserving sugar.

GeeB
Candied ginger is almost as good as fresh if you don't mind the bit of carp in the preserving sugar.

I've never seen that, depends on the carp count... not sure I'd want a fishy flavor in my tea ;-)

There's also that pickled ginger they give you with sushi. I like that a lot. I looked up the recipe on them internets and it uses sugar. I'm not sure if artificial sweetener would work as a substitute though.

I love the sweet hot taste of candied ginger, but it is a HUGE carb splurge for me. Even the non-crystalized version, which is less sweet, has 34g net carbs for 1/4 cup, (from the back of a bag from Trader Joes.) That is more than my daily allotment of carbs.

The nice thing is that if you can manage to not hoove the whole bag, a single piece leaves a nice hot aftertaste in your mouth for some time.

IP
I use it in cooking. So maybe a teaspoon or two divided by 4-6 servings comes to less than 1g/serving. i agree it can be a tempting snack, though.

GeeB
Advertisement