No. of Recommendations: 0
We will be retiring to a small town in New England early next year.
I have heard alot about pellet stoves and was wondering if they would save money in the long run. We will most likely buy a small house and my research shows that most of the houses in the town use gas heat. Having owned houses in the past that used oil for heating, gas is alot cheaper.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have heard alot about pellet stoves and was wondering if they would save money in the long run.

Although it's possible a pellet stove might save a few cents it's for damn sure it'll cost you time and time again.

With gas you turn it on and you're done.

With a pellet stove you've got to reload the hopper every few days depending on the weather.

Are you going to have the pellets delivered or buy them at some store? Delivered costs more $$$ self purchase means and extra trip to the store, unloading bags etc.

Overall I doubt the pellet stove will save you enough $$$ to make up for the hassle it'll bring into your life.

Also, are you buying a new stove anyway or will the pellet stove be an added expense?

I'm guessing gas stoves are cheaper than pellet stoves.

Desert (at one with nature when the microwave works) Dave
No. of Recommendations: 1
We will be retiring to a small town in New England early next year.
I have heard alot about pellet stoves and was wondering if they would save money in the long run. We will most likely buy a small house and my research shows that most of the houses in the town use gas heat. Having owned houses in the past that used oil for heating, gas is alot cheaper.

Good for you! NE is a beautiful place to retire to.

I have heard people say they are neighbors with pellet stove owners and the fumes that emanate from their chimney bother them. If someone in the neighborhood has breathing problems, it might not be the best way to make new friends.

We have oil heat; it works fine so we aren't going to change it. Gas heat would probably be your best option if your building.

What part of New England?

Andrea
if your building.

Gah!! If you're building!!! Andrea
The primary source of heating the house would be gas. The stove in the kitchen would also be gas.
The pellet stove would be situated most likely in the living room.
You bring up a good point though about having to purchase the pellets.
It's starting to sound like not such a good idea.
Thanks for your input.
We are looking into a few towns on the coast of MA close to NH.
We are not building a home. Having looked at hundreds of real estate listings in the past year, I noticed that most of the houses were using gas heat. Oil is very expensive. I lived in a big colonial house in RI for a few years and we were spending $500 a month heating that big old house and I believe oil is now alot more expensive. Of course, the house was not insulated but we did not know that when we bought it.
It got pretty cold the winter that we were there and you could not sit in the dining room as it was so cold. We had the heat turned up as high as it would go and we were freezing.
No. of Recommendations: 2
the first thing you need to ask is how reliable is the electric service. if you need back up a pellet stove is great for that. provided you keep the pellets dry. most people have trouble storing the bags. still need electric for the hopper feed.

my sister heated her rural home with wood for over 30 years. as soon as she got sick she converted to a free standing propane stove and after 2 months wondered why she spent so much time on the wood.

if you have natural gas over propane go for it. much cheaper, cleaner and a LOT less hassle.
I have oil... it's awful. Expensive, smelly, and requires yearly maintenance. I spend $2400/yr to heat a 1500sq-ft insulated house to 60*, I paid 50% less to heat a larger, un-insulated, house with gas before this one.

I'm considering pellet as a way to reduce the amount of oil I'm using... but the costs really don't work out due to the high cost of buying and installing the stove.

If I had gas I'd never bother considering it unless I really wanted a backup heating source.
I have oil... it's awful. Expensive, smelly, and requires yearly maintenance.

Er... have you considered propane?
No. of Recommendations: 4
Pellet stoves require annual maintenance and cleaning by a pro, and repairs are needed more often than with gas equipment. Find a competent person to do maintenance and repair on a pellet stove in a small town or rural area may well be difficult and expensive.

If you want a heat source that will save you money, I'd go with wood if you have access to a low cost or free wood supply. I wouldn't buy a pellet stove myself.

Seattle Pioneer
Advertisement