UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37065  
Subject: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/5/2012 5:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
anyone use this idea?

it seems I look at my planner and don't see anything, nothing stands out because it's all in black ink or something. I develop a blindness to it just like crap in the house.

I use one of those At A Glance planner 8-1/2 x 11 I think. Been using that size for a couple of yrs but had used smaller versions for a long time. A counselor who I went to to help with planning, suggested larger size. ugh! Too dang big.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35947 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/5/2012 10:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
no, I would just have to look around for the right color pen...

& I can't deal with really big date books either b/c I tend to leave them home. My current one is about the size of a checkbook. I just have to look at it more...

Author: blue3dragon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35948 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/6/2012 8:34 AM
Recommendations: 2
I have always used different ink colors to help organize. Even on the computer I use different colors on my calendar & even in my financial spreadsheets. But I was that geeky kid who looked forward to school every year just for the new pens & supplies so I've been a pen fanatic for a long time.

Michele

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35949 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/6/2012 9:22 AM
I'd be more inclined to write with whatever's handy and then highlight in one or two colors. Maybe a color for work and one for family and one for personal? Or just one color for things that absolutely must be done.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35950 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/6/2012 2:52 PM
I have always used different ink colors to help organize. Even on the computer I use different colors on my calendar & even in my financial spreadsheets. But I was that geeky kid who looked forward to school every year just for the new pens & supplies so I've been a pen fanatic for a long time.

Michele

>>>>>>>>>

so what colors signify what?

Author: blue3dragon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35951 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/6/2012 10:13 PM
Recommendations: 4
Depends on you. Green goes for work (color of money). Blue for personal (favorite color). Red for birthdays/anniversaries. Orange for doctor appointments (mine or the cats). Brown was school related. Yellow was any overtime at work (so I could easily see my xtra shifts).

Like I said, I was that geeky kid, but I used all the coolest pens (had to or mom would stop buying them. Miss my fountain pens. I still do it at work - iv sites in 1 color, patients assessment in another, important stuff in a 3rd. If I work 2 in a row the 2nd day would be different colors so I would be able to use same report sheets.

Michele
Possibly overly complicated for some but it works for me

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35952 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/6/2012 10:29 PM
I use nice bold pens (not extra fine nor fine).
I write notes over two or three lines (because I hate to cramp my writing to the small lines that DayTimer/Franklin provides).

I also have been known to write down a task to read the things to do today.

YeilB

Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35953 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/6/2012 11:58 PM
I don't currently carry a paper planner, but I also used different colors when I did.

I liked to use colored highlighters and outline blocks of time.

Now I run my personal planner in outlook & sync to iPhone and have colors for various purposes - personal, Mary Kay appts, MK prep time, MK phone time, family, kids school etc.

We also keep a 2x3ft whiteboard dry erase calendar on the kitchen wall -that one is mostly for family activities - each person has a color so I can see at a glance who is doing what. Really helped when I had 2 kids in scouts/soccer/art school.

I'm thinking about picking up an iPad or the rumored iPad mini to carry as an electronic planner among other uses.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35954 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/7/2012 7:51 AM
I liked to use colored highlighters and outline blocks of time.

This!!!!

I tried pens; highlighters work out much better.

I use a combo online/printed system. I have an online calendar for my nuclear family, then I also use a calendar I update/print from Word that houses all the "grandkids'" schedules, so that my sister and I can coordinate any evenings that require kids going in 4 directions, and there are only three adults to manage it....

Anyway, for the printed version, each kid gets a highlighter color. That way we can easily spot conflicts (the more colors, the worse the evening!).

Same concept would apply for you. If you see a day with a ton of differently colors? High conflict - do something different.

impolite

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35955 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/7/2012 1:38 PM
Depends on you. Green goes for work (color of money). Blue for personal (favorite color). Red for birthdays/anniversaries. Orange for doctor appointments (mine or the cats). Brown was school related. Yellow was any overtime at work (so I could easily see my xtra shifts).

Like I said, I was that geeky kid, but I used all the coolest pens (had to or mom would stop buying them. Miss my fountain pens. I still do it at work - iv sites in 1 color, patients assessment in another, important stuff in a 3rd. If I work 2 in a row the 2nd day would be different colors so I would be able to use same report sheets.

Michele
Possibly overly complicated for some but it works for me

>>>>>>>>>>>>

no, not at all. Like I said, if I use all black or blue ink in my planner, I just find it all a blur and nothing stands out for me.

Now the next question is how do you keep all the pens together with your planner to use?

LuckyDog

Author: blue3dragon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35956 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/7/2012 3:23 PM
I keep my pens on my desk. I will use pencil for a paper calendar & rewrite when I get home. Now with the iPhone, it syncs with my iMac calendar so all the colors are preprogrammed & I just have to choose. So technology has helped keep it simple. But being the pen geek that I am I know they have the 4 in 1 color pens so you could travel with 1 or 2 pens but 4 or 8 colors. Even when I'm working things out on scratch paper I use multiple colors. Helps me see quickly how much of whatever is going on (whether its the calendar or budgeting or stuff for school).

Michele

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35957 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/8/2012 1:20 PM
A sandwich bag with highlighters, pens, and sticky flags (narrow post-its): that's what I took to meetings and classes.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35958 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 10/9/2012 6:33 PM
Now the next question is how do you keep all the pens together with your planner to use?

Buy a pen that has multiple colors:

http://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-Clip-On-4-Color-0.7-mm-Ballpoin...

https://www.google.com/search?q=4+color+ballpoint+multi+pen&...

Frydaze1

Author: sarakula Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35965 of 37065
Subject: Re: Pen ink ideas for better planner control Date: 11/9/2012 6:44 PM
I use MyAgenda (the mini) and one pen color. I think multiple colors looks like chaos.

It has a week on a page format, fits in my purse, and has three sections at the end of each day that you can label as you wish. (one for each person, or whatever you wish.)

My description doesn't do it justice - check out the link:

http://www.momagenda.com/products.cfm?cID=25&pID=93

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement