Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5238  
Subject: Penn State penalties Date: 7/23/2012 10:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-...

$60 million fine
4 Year postseason ban
A bunch of scholarships stripped (10 initial and 20 per year for 4 years)
5 year probation for atheletic department
All of Paterno's wins since 1998 vacated (not sure if that means for his record or the school's record.)

This is a pretty substantial punishment. Four year postseason bans are quite rare (only Indiana has had one since 1960 per ESPN, for "improper recruiting inducements"), and that means any player on the team can transfer to any other school without having to sit out a year. Basically you can write off any decent Penn State teams for the forseeable future but the program has a chance to redeem itself. Seems fair to me.

I know some want the entire program nixed, but that would be a rather knee-jerk reaction. Better to have a severe punishment with the possibility of redemption down the line rather than destroy the program and basically punish tens of thousands of people (who had nothing to do with the scandal) going forward. Jo Pa's dead, his legacy is shot, no more can be done to him. Everyone else involved is no longer affiliated with the school. Sandusky will never see a day outside of prison again and the NCAA's hammer came down on PSU about as strictly as it could without obliterating the program entirely.

/On a side note, a lot of Big Ten teams are on the "longest bans" list, which is rather surprising.

PSU 4 year ban this year
Indiana 4 year ban in 1960
Michigan State 3 year ban in 1976

Only two other teams were listed (Oklahoma St. and Houston) so the Big Ten makes up 60% of this list! Granted the most recent before this one was 1976 (before I was even born) but still that's not great for the reputation of my cherished Big Ten (Michigan alum).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ChrisBuehler Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5232 of 5238
Subject: Re: Penn State penalties Date: 7/23/2012 10:51 AM
Recommendations: 1
There's more coming as the Big Ten will announce additional penalties for Penn State at 11 am EDT. I expect the Big Ten to announce that Penn State will not be eligible for the championship game because of the NCAA post-season ban. Perhaps the Big Ten will ban Penn State football from TV appearances - at a minimum from the Big Ten network for a period of time. I don't know if the conference can prevent Penn State from appearing on ABC or ESPN. Further, the Big Ten could reduce Penn State's share of the revenue distribution.

I agree that a substantial punishment was warranted but also agree that killing the football program at this point would hurt many people who had nothing to do with the scandal. I believe the NCAA accomplished this. We'll see what the Big Ten does.

Chris

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5233 of 5238
Subject: Re: Penn State penalties Date: 7/23/2012 11:12 AM
>> I don't know if the conference can prevent Penn State from appearing on ABC or ESPN. Further, the Big Ten could reduce Penn State's share of the revenue distribution. <<

I would think they could, but they would probably need to get ABC and ESPN to buy into it. Though in some sense I'm sure they are less likely to want to televise PSU games anyway.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5234 of 5238
Subject: Re: Penn State penalties Date: 7/23/2012 12:02 PM
I'm getting this from tweets (so take with a grain of salt) but it looks like the Big Ten punishments amount to no bowl revenue sharing for four years ($13 million) and censure, plus they're leaning at allowing PSU players to transfer to other Big Ten schools without penalty. Per Delaney divisional realigntment not likely due to this but "never say never". No TV ban as Delaney et al. felt the $73 million hit ($60 million NCAA fine and $13 million from lost bowl revenue sharing) was a sufficent penalty.

On another interesting side note: Penn State and Ohio State played a game in which both sides have now had the outcome vacated. It's the game which cannot be named, apparently.

Author: crschoen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5235 of 5238
Subject: Re: Penn State penalties Date: 7/23/2012 12:31 PM
Should have been banned from television appearances IMO.

Author: NevadaGolfer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5237 of 5238
Subject: Re: Penn State penalties Date: 7/24/2012 3:22 AM
Not fair to ban them from TV as there is another team involved in the game and those fans don't deserve to lose the ability to see the game. That's why we don't see stupid TV bans anymore.

Author: PopeyesAddict Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5238 of 5238
Subject: Re: Penn State penalties Date: 7/24/2012 4:10 PM
Recommendations: 2
I think it goes too far and largely for political reasons. The NCAA doesn't want to be seen saying "This is an issue for the criminal and civil courts" even though that is basically the case.

Everyone involved has been or is being punished.

Sandusky - going to Prison
Paterno - fired
School officials involved in cover-up - fired or gone
Penn State - going to be sued like crazy

There is perhaps an argument that the program and the culture are at fault as well. So I think vacating all the wins back to '98 addresses that - and punishes Paterno which removes some of the moral hazard.

But banning them from post-season games and limiting scholarships punishes kids on the team and current students - why they hell should they be punished? If I were a Penn State freshman football player, I'd hire a lawyer. Seriously.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement